I'm thinking coccidiosis . . .

Kim65

Songster
10 Years
May 29, 2009
Washington state
I bought 10 white crested black polish chicks from a guy on Craigslist on Saturday. By Sunday evening, three were dead. This evening, I found ANOTHER ONE dead
sad.png

Only a couple of them are vigorous, and most were sluggish/listless from the time I got them home. I haven't had chicks for a couple of years and thought I was not remembering their behavior right.

Anyway, yesterday I noticed tan, mucousy poo with a slight pink tinge. I think it's coccidia. Up until today, they've been eating unmedicated chick starter I was using with the goslings.

I bought Narragansett poults today and medicated turkey starter, so they are on that now but I need to do more. Some are still . . . just not right.

All noses and bums are clean and dry. The brooder temp is between 86 and 90 F, they're on clean cotton rags and in my bedroom in a large tote.

I have Dimethox 40% on hand. I figured I could cut the 12.5% dose directions by roughly one third and use 5cc in a gallon of water to treat.

Does this sound right?

Am I missing anything?

Poor little chickies, I've never had sick chicks before
sad.png

Whoa!! What a great set of pics!!

I am not seeing bloody poo, I'm seeing more of that cecal type stuff.

I have them on white rags right now to see more clearly, and nope, no blood.

So hmmm. I wonder if I just got a bunch of unthrifty chicks? It's frustrating and heartbreaking
sad.png
I've had chicks many times over, and never had sick ones, maybe I've been lucky.

I wonder what would cause them to just collapse and die. They were hatched on the 12th, could it have been some kind of starve out? There are four of these kids who run to my fingers in hopes of food, but the others just don't have their vigor.

I haven't tried antibiotics, Chick Quick or whatever, or electrolyte solution. Would that help? I have vitamin E oil too.

Back
Top Bottom