I'm tired of being poor!

My husband is on disability. I stay at home, and raise our two girls, 6 and 4. The oldest goes to school, where she has to wear a uniform, and they arent cheap. Plus, she's at the stage where she's growing a pant size at least twice a year.
I heard that if you eat at least one homemade meal a month, you save over $425 a year. So, if you make a homemade meal every night, you are actually saving thousands a year. Drop the home phone number. Drop the cable channels you dont watch. Stop the Tivo subscriptions. Drop all magazines, books, video rentals. Make it a habit that at least once a week, you go to the library to check out some books, mags, or even videos to rent for free. Take a weekend and check out free concerts, bbq cookoffs...whatever is in your area.
We had to learn the hard way to make one check last through the monthly bills, plus last for the extras (tp, toothpaste, medicines) throughout the month.
At least, on the bright side, spring is coming, so the heater bill will lower. Hope it helps, good luck.
hugs.gif

I was thinking that it was Pygmylion (or My fair lady) .....guess I need to brush up on my theatre huh???

BoJo

About the pity party...... I can not even afford to let the grapes sour to make the whine with!!! LOL

Cannibal the Musical - never saw it - no bonus pts.
I hate that I work my tail off and seem to have no more than the nonworking neighbors.
sad.png

Quote:
I hear ya. I love it when they have brand new Hummers and I am driving a 06 Santa Fe that will be our car til it kivies up.
hmm.png

I have been out of work for 9 months (cause of school) I have now finished my course but now work is coming in slow..it seems like I work my behind off and we get nowhere DH is in the auto ind..he has been cut back to 4 days a week.

I make almost every meal from scratch to save as much as I can...we are eating wayyyy to many eggs but hey they are there

cheap snacks for the kids like popcorn has been a blessing

thank goodness we dont pay for hydro or water cause we would have been done months ago...we are 2 months behind in rent but the landlord is great about it (thank goodness)...I have to hold on for 3 more months...
fl.gif

I hear ya...being poor is not fun

My kids are on their spring break next week I started a thread looking for Ideas of stuff to do i cant really go anywhere with them I need to conserve the gas

I'll join this party! DBF left his job (long story) a year ago, and hasn't had a paycheck since then. Thank goodness he would up being eligible for unemployment.

I don't want a new purse, or earrings, or a fancy vacation. I'd just like to have underwear that isn't dingy grey and filled with holes, and a new pair of work shoes before I wear out the pair I've been wearing for 2 years.

Quote:
Hee hee...

I'm a stay-at-home-homeschooling-mom with a very part-time weekend job. DH's job is full commission.

I cook homemade meals almost every night. We might get something to go once or twice a month or so (usually when my least favorite aunt makes her monthly visit, if ya know what I mean.
wink.png
)
Our home phone is less than $25/month with Vonage.
Our basic cable is $12.95/month, internet is less than $33.
We don't have TiVo or DVR.
We don't subscribe to any magazines.
We NEVER go to the movies, but we rent from the 99 cent rack once in a blue moon.
We use coupons and only buy what we need.
My heat is set on 65 downstairs and 63 up, and I'm sitting here freezing.
I am the queen of clearance rack and thrift store shopping for clothes.

The problem for us is that my DH is a GM mechanic. We have watched his salary drop by about 15K over the past several years, which has made us house poor - because our mortgage didn't go down with his salary, and our property tax and homeowners insurance went up.
sad.png

BUT, even though it's not easy, we're still scraping by -- and for that I need to remember to thank the Good Lord more!
smile.png

Rhett&SarahsMom :

Quote:
I hear ya. I love it when they have brand new Hummers and I am driving a 06 Santa Fe that will be our car til it kivies up.
hmm.png

DH is driving a '97 minivan and mine is a '00. No new, or even newer, vehicles for us anytime in the near future either!​

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom