i'm worried about my chick egg...day 18.

BellLisamo

Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis
10 Years
Feb 7, 2009
Tombstone, AZ
Ok so 2 nights ago, i was candling to see who was still alive. And i let my daughter hold one in her hand to feel it move... well it did and it scared her. So she dropped it. It cracked the top part, where the air sac is, nothing else. There was a hole in the top of it, so i can see in it, and the baby is still moving. It's day 18. I'm worried it may die with the hole in the top! Can i take it out of the shell? Is day 18 the day all the yolk and everything is absorbed into the belly? HELP ME! I want it to live!! He's still a wiggling!

Day 18 is to early to take it out.
How big is the hole?
There isnt much you can do but put it back in the bator and wait I think, maybe someone will know a trick. If the hole is small you may be able to cover it with a pieace of damp paper towl just bigger then the hole so it dries there so its not open but I have no idea really.

Good luck
hugs.gif
fl.gif

Quote:
I put a damp paper towel over the hole. It's like the size of the tip of my pinky! I shall name it pinky or whoopsidaisy if it makes it! It seems to want to, its still moving.

"Nineteenth day - yolk sac begins to enter body cavity

Twentieth day - yolk sac completely drawn into body cavity; embryo occupies practically all the space within the egg except the air cell

Twenty-first day - hatching of chick"

AHHHH!!!!! Gosh dangit. Come on chickie, SUCK IT UP!!

I think the most important thing now is to make shure the humidity is up where it should be and then leave the bator and the egg alone . I think its biggist risk would being drying out because of the hole so keep it in the bator and make shure the humidity is at least 60% and then cross youre fingers and pray.
Someone may have a better idea of what to do but for now I think thats the best advice for pinkie.

Quote:
thanks! the humidity is about 65% so i hope it doesnt dry out! so i take it we are going with pinky. The poor thing will probably be a black chick and its name is pinky? LOL. It's a mix of a barred cochin rooster and a golden laced polish hen.

I think he'll make it! He'll dry out faster though. People punch holes in the air cell all the time to observe the chick's development. That's pretty cool though that you can see it. He'll hatch when he's ready.

Quote:
thanks! i sure hope so! ill try to take a picture later of the hole, and being able to see in. (Through the top of the bator of course)

Don't let it dry out, this same thing happened to me. I got a moist cloth/clean rag (wet) and put it over the hole so the hole had not air going in.

Back
Top Bottom