Immediate crisis, abandoned egg, please help

Pics
Ok I see here that it has not fully absorbed the yolk and closed up yet.
The less you mess with her the better. Leave her be for now and give this time to heal.
Yeah, I don't dare pick her up, so I can't get a good picture of her butt but here she is.
20190821_094450.jpg

The good news: Cookie lives!
The less good news: Cookie has severely splayed legs and has not fully detached from the egg yet.
What to do now??
is it really humid? once shes out she doesn't need humidity, that umilical cord needs to dry up on it's own, what ever you do do not cut it. Keep up the treatment for splayed leg changing it daily until she's got her feet under her even if it takes a couple of weeks so the legs form properly

Yeah, I don't dare pick her up, so I can't get a good picture of her butt but here she is.View attachment 1884559
There is probably a thin string attaching the shell to her. You might need to cut that off.
Her dragging that shell around is going to be trouble.

Last edited:
is it really humid? once shes out she doesn't need humidity, that umilical cord needs to dry up on it's own, what ever you do do not cut it. Keep up the treatment for splayed leg changing it daily until she's got her feet under her even if it takes a couple of weeks so the legs form properly
It's humid in general today. 81% humidity outside.

There is probably a thin string attaching the shell to her You might need to cut that off.
Her dragging that shell around is going to be trouble.
Yeah, I think if she could move around easier she would get rid of it herself, but it's a catch 22--I don't dare put splints on until we are rid of the shell, but without splints she isn't going to wall on her own!

Yeah, I think if she could move around easier she would get rid of it herself, but it's a catch 22--I don't dare put splints on until we are rid of the shell, but without splints she isn't going to wall on her own!
Don't worry about the legs right now You just need to get the shell off.

Back
Top Bottom