Impacted crop advice

Here's some pictures. I figured it took me long enough to send you some pics.
The poop is recent. The first one is just bile. Don't worry, this is the only poop with just bile that she pooped today.
Her comb has significantly shriveled in these past weeks.
The third pic has some stuff in the poop. (Sometimes she poops more than this).
And I found a temporary solution to the water issue. I put a pan with water in it, and probably since it's not the usual water container, she'll drink a little from it.
20191116_164932.jpg
20191116_164843.jpg
20191116_164911.jpg

You need to offer her some soft boiled egg or plain Greek yogurt or tofu. I suspect she's starving and getting almost too weak to eat and drink. If you can get some of these foods down her, she will gain strength very quickly.

I agree with the starving, but not the "too weak to eat and drink". She is tired more than often, but she can definitely eat and drink fine. I'll offer yogurt and soft boiled egg tomorrow. I'm not sure she'll eat it, but I'll try.

I forgot to add, she recently started frequently turning her head and reaching for her back, but not grooming her feathers. It's hard to describe, but I think it's related to her crop problems.

Oh, dear. It sounds like the beginning of wry neck. It wouldn't hurt to nip it in the bud with a few days of vitamin E 400iu, just pop one capsule into her beak once a day until she stops doing it. It's important to feed her egg with it for the selenium that's also necessary to treat it.

It's often triggered by illness and vitamin deficiency.

Oh, dear. It sounds like the beginning of wry neck. It wouldn't hurt to nip it in the bud with a few days of vitamin E 400iu, just pop one capsule into her beak once a day until she stops doing it. It's important to feed her egg with it for the selenium that's also necessary to treat it.

It's often triggered by illness and vitamin deficiency.
Oh my, another problem? :thIs it because of the lack of nutrients and vitamins?
She doesn't lose balance, but she does jerk her neck a bit sometimes. I'll feed her some boiled egg tomorrow.

Her body language reminds me of a laying disorder. When was the last time she laid an egg?

As far as quick nutrition that won’t block the crop, I go for nutridrench, raw egg yolk, or a soupy baby bird formula.

She hasn't laid an egg for roughly a month now, probably because of the cold weather and her crop disorders. I will also offer her raw quail egg tomorrow.

Boiled egg by itself won't treat wry neck. It's the vitamin E that's the important thing to give her. The egg has nutrients in it that will help the E absorb more efficiently.

I change the "frequently reaching back" part to occasionally. I'm not sure I have the vitamin E 400iu.

So this is what I am going to do for her tomorrow:
- feed her boiled and raw egg
- feed her coconut oil and stool softener and massage her
- give her water
- offer yogurt
- feed her BoB with chicken feed in a mush (for the probiotics)

Last edited:
@azygous, I need some desperate help. It doesn't seem like she's getting better, and the more time this takes, the worse she is. This is a detailed description of her current health.

Appearance: Her comb has shriveled and some of it is purple. She is very skinny, and since she got an impacted crop when she started molting, her pin feathers are almost done, but she's still considered molting (in the pic above), so this takes energy out of her.

Appetite: she's got a weird appetite. I put her in the backyard to see what she wants to eat, and the first thing she does is go over to a patch of dirt and start eating rocks and dirt straight from the ground, and little green sprouts (I didn't let her eat it). She doesn't really eat anything, and I've never seen her drink water, although she might have taken a few sips during the day.

Crop size and feeling: her crop is always just half full. It never goes past that point. In the mornings, it's like dough, and by night, it's squishy but not like a water balloon. After massaging for a while it feels like its smaller, but it never goes down too much. Just to let you know, when I massage her crop, I hear squelching sounds of air trapped inside the crop.

Stool: never a lot. A few days ago, it was pretty promising, but now, she doesn't poop as much. It's always very green, probably from the bile, and sometimes I see a strand of grass or two. An average night she poops around 4-5 poops, usually mostly bile.

Energy Level: yesterday's energy level was almost normal, but today she's much quieter, but not completely lethargic (she doesn't puff up her feathers and close her eyes all the time). She's just not as jumpy and energetic.

Back
Top Bottom