Impacted Crop - at a loss

How does she look in general? Did you try the ACV water or treatment?

Oil is great for moving things through but won't break down the straw. That's why I used the digestive enzymes in my hen. ACV will also help break down the fibers and help stop the fermenting. Fermenting is also the result of something breaking down and the straw does take a long time and a lot of work.,

Ultimately you are the one dealing with this so I support whatever decision you need to make in the best interests of your girl.
I have ACV in the water--would you recommend doing something less dilute/feeding it directly with a dropper to get a certain amount in her?

She's been on daily coconut oil (she'll eat as much as I'll give her).

Did you use something like this for digestive enzymes?
https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/1028775-animal-health-solutions-hen-boost-probiotics.html

With such a young bird having this crop problem I would try seeing a vet to get the mass out of her crop. Most crop disorders I have seen were in older birds who suffered from reproductive issues, and no treatments ever helped. There are many good videos on crop surgeries, but your vet would be the most qualified one to do it.

Hi! what ended up happening? i am having pretty much the exact same predicament currently!
This is exactly what I have happening now too. Lavender Orpington... Hard crop, lots of energy, super hungry, laying eggs.... but crop is not working and not a lot of poop.

Hi! what ended up happening? i am having pretty much the exact same predicament currently!
This is exactly what I have happening now too. Lavender Orpington... Hard crop, lots of energy, super hungry, laying eggs.... but crop is not working and not a lot of poop.

I have read docusate sodium is used for crop issues may be worth checking out. I haven't had to try it, been lucky so far.

Hello all. I have an almost 1 year old easter egger hen whose crop issues I'm not able to resolve.

She was "off" for about two days and moving her head as if to clear the crop. I caught her first thing in the morning, noted her full crop, and started by isolating her in a dark box for a day. That day, she did regurgitate some milky, sour fluid, so I figured her crop was sour and once it emptied I'd feed her some balancing stuff and we'd be good to go.

Unfortunately, the next morning, her crop felt hard and full, so I assume it's impacted. Using the methods in this article, I started trying to clear it. She ate the coconut oil, behaved for the massages, and quickly was in better spirits (did some dust bathing in her sawdust even), but after two treatments of oil and one of stool softener, she lump is still there. I'm also concerned about her starving, so I've been feeding her small amounts of raw egg mixed with water. She did poop during the day, so liquid is able to move through her.

I gave her another night to see if anything would change. Nothing. I've got raw egg and coconut with a stool softener broken into it available if she's hungry- she ate a bit first thing.

I have no idea what to do. Help!
What ever happened with your chicken? I have the same issue going on now. I’m sure there’s a large wad of straw in her crop. This is been going on a couple of weeks, no chicken vets anywhere near me.

Back
Top Bottom