Impacted Crop Confusion

21grams

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
Hi all, newbie question. I spent all day watching our 1 year old Wyondotte hen (that we separated from the other 3 chickens). We noticed about 2 days ago she was kinda off by herself a lot when they got let out into the yard for the day. I read where you check their crop in the morning to see if it is full as it should be empty. Not having any idea where the crop was or what it should feel like, in the morning I was alarmed to find that she had a large size soft (like dough) crop. After reading a million posts on impacted and sour crop we decided to try the mineral oil (about 1/4 tsp) and massage downward method with the assumption that we treat it like and impaction. We did this 2X and kept her with water (which she did drink). Not sure what to try today. Here are her symptoms:
1.Seems lethargic but walking a little
2.Weight loss (feels really thin to me) we took food away but offered her a little yogurt to see and she wouldn't eat it.
3.Crop mass seems about the size of a plum and soft-like playdough
4.No poop yesterday when we isolated her (there was a tiny bit-normal looking but not sure if it was already there in the pen area?)
5.Drinking water as of yesterday
6.NO bad smell
7.DID NOT flush with water- but we did try to turn her up and see if we could coax her to expel but nothing came out
8.Since molting in June-July and now late Sept has stopped laying.
9.Has always panted when others were not and now she is panting pretty constant (but it is still hot here).
10.Never been wormed

We are just not sure which way to turn? I understand that an impacted crop can move into sour crop but we don't want to force water and vomiting if that is going to cause more risk. I am pretty sure she is too weak for crop cleaning surgery and I don't think I could do it anyway. If she is still hanging in there in the morning which direction? More oil, olive or mineral? Kefir? Wine? ACV in water? Pineapple juice? Water flush and vomit her???? Does it seem like impacted or- sour crop?? Could something else be happening at the same time as her symptoms seem confusing to us. Could it be worms?
Thanks in advance-

Update: on Furry our Wyondotte- she is awake, still full crop this AM and she pooped a few times (alittle runny with some solids). Still no bad odor. Been up most of the night reading posts and frantic about what to do. She has not had access to long grasses (my yard is all dirt now) but I did give them an ear of cooked corn as a treat. Someone suggested whole kernel corn can cause a block? I am leaning toward trying a baking soda and water flush? suggestions welcome

Back
Top Bottom