Impacted crop, could use some advise

Nitcha

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Hi all, I am new to this site but have been reading the threads about impacted crops and have a question or two.

I have an ex-battery hen who has been out of the cages for 4 weeks. She has never eaten well, eating only small amounts and her crop is usually the size of a walnut shell.

A few days ago her crop became larger, about 4 times the size it had been which I took to be a good sign that she had "come good" and was on the mend, Her appetite improved and she was eating alot more and was free ranging as well.

24 hours ago she looked very ill, sitting, shaking and had laid two eggs overnight. When she came out of the cages she laid one egg then stopped. One of the eggs was broken and the other is covered with a crusty white layer.

There is no bad smell from her mouth, no sour smell or anything, but her crop is full and not emptying. It's not rock hard, but not squishy the way others on the forum have described either.

After reading the threads here I switched her to ACV in her water 1 tbsp per quart, she has had a little of that. She has pooped several times today, each very small watery poops and her crop has gone down about 20% after 24 hours. She is now standing all the time and seems to want to eat but will not eat the bread and oil. I have withheld all other foods.

How do you get them to eat the bread soaked in oil? How much oil should I be trying to get into her? Should I be restricting other foods?

I am worried she has eaten newspaper. A few days ago she discovered she could spill the water onto the paper and make it soft, then she started eating it. I stopped putting her on newspaper when I saw what she was doing. She is inside at night in a cage, that is why she was on newspaper.

There were 7 other hens that came from the same farm on the same day and they are all fine. I have always had this hen on her own because she had some suspected spinal damage and had difficulty walking, but is now walking well.

Sorry for this long message. Would appreciate any advise.

Nitcha

we use a loaf of bread crumbled by hand and put it in a bowl then pour the oil over it like salad dressing and use a spoon to mix the bread and oil toghter. then put in a seperate feeder or same feeder as the chicken love the bread. use it as treat. then massage the crop on the bird which is below the neck and repeat at least two time's daily. one in the morning and then later in the day. do this for about 2 day's on and 2 day's off in between treatment. the oil in the bread willl start to losen the impacted crop. and the massage will start to get where the bad stuff goes. we use virign olive oil as it cost's alot but well worth it . hope this help's as we have had a few bird's that had this problem.

Thank you for your reply Summer Rose Farm. I can't get her interested in the bread so have been syringing oil into her 1/2 ml every 2 hours.

She is still pooping and her crop seems to be getting a bit smaller, but there is still alot of stuff in there. I have a feeling it is newspaper. And have been gently massageing the crop towards the body cavity.

Fingers crossed, she is a dear little hen.

Back
Top Bottom