Hen lethargic possible impacted crop

What are you calling "shell grit" - oyster shell? That's great for adding supplemental calcium but it's not hard enough to act a grit in the gizzard.

She can have her normal pellet or crumble poultry feed (wet or dry) and easy to process food like the egg you gave. I would avoid whole grain, seeds, etc. until the crop issue is resolved.

Lice generally is not something that would cause the crop symptoms, but I suppose if the infestation is severe and her system is that compromised, they lice could be part of the problem.
So whenever i massage it her crop goes down again but after a few hours it fill up again, Shes eating lots, most her poo is barely any solid unless i massage her, shes not too weak, should i just keep massaging till it goes empty?

So whenever i massage it her crop goes down again but after a few hours it fill up again, Shes eating lots, most her poo is barely any solid unless i massage her, shes not too weak, should i just keep massaging till it goes empty?
Check the crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, if it's empty that's good news.
If it's not empty, then give her crop a light massage a few times a day.

If she's eating a lot, then the crop is going to be filling up during the day, it's like a pouch that holds food waiting to be digested. It's normal for the crop to have food in it and fill up during the day when eating/drinking.
Checking first thing after a full night's sleep is the best way to gauge function.

yesterday night her crop was full but not too full and kinda squishy but this morning it was full and hard, Her poo is very watery and not full of foody clumps sometimes bits of grass and whole grains come out
Check the crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, if it's empty that's good news.
If it's not empty, then give her crop a light massage a few times a day.

If she's eating a lot, then the crop is going to be filling up during the day, it's like a pouch that holds food waiting to be digested. It's normal for the crop to have food in it and fill up during the day when eating/drinking.
Checking first thing after a full night's sleep is the best way to gauge function.

yesterday night her crop was full but not too full and kinda squishy but this morning it was full and hard, Her poo is very watery and not full of foody clumps sometimes bits of grass and whole grains come out
Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your birds or do they have access to soil that contains small sharp stones/rocks?

I would feed a wet mash of food instead of grains. Sounds like a possible partial blockage if she's expelling bits of grass and whole grains.

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your birds or do they have access to soil that contains small sharp stones/rocks?

I would feed a wet mash of food instead of grains. Sounds like a possible partial blockage if she's expelling bits of grass and whole grains.
managed to almost massage the crop empty the poo is only small bits of grain, so ill see tomorrow if its full in the morning

The rotenone powder works for lice but make sure you dust everyone in your flock. Also clean and treat the coop.

The oil, massages and soft foods should help clear any blockage. Make sure your shell grit is the right size. Medium is better than fine for adult chickens.

Have you ever dewormed her?

We wiill but some ivermectin and deworm them soon, i have medium shell grit tho they are scared of it lol. yep we washed the coop with water and dusted everyone dusting in 3 days again

We wiill but some ivermectin and deworm them soon, i have medium shell grit tho they are scared of it lol. yep we washed the coop with water and dusted everyone dusting in 3 days again

Ivermectin may paralyse some gut worms but generally products containing levimasole or flubenzadole are more appropriate for worming.

she's gone. 4th bird we have lost in the last year for no reason

I’m sorry about your hen :(

There will be a reason. As Wyorp said in an earlier reply, slow crop is a usually sign that something else is going on. Your hen could have had reproductive illness, or cancer. Sometimes we don’t know.

Where abouts in Aus are you?

Back
Top Bottom