Impacted Crop, Egg Bound too?

UPDATE 2:
She just laid an empty membrane. I am thinking that she may be going the same route as Henrietta, the hen we had to euthanize for EYP in June. We'll keep an eye on her for similar symptoms, but this is one that H showed early-on.

I am hesitant to give the solution for doughy crop so soon after I (mis)treated with laxitive. I think I'm going to wait a few hours. (solution=ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, lemon juice & water)

Going to get fluids in her first...

MY Hubby massaged Goldie quite a bit over a day or two...cause we were so determined after she been thru the flystrike.
cant puffed up mean air sac problem?
just a saying
Puffed up can mean a whole lot of things Narrowing them down without the help of a vet is a challenge, for sure.

Laid Membrane Only
I feel like I should change the name of this thread... yes, crop is still a problem, but why?
I am bolding the important points, as I can get a bit wordy...

Carolina is still moving about, slowly, but mostly hunkering down in one place. Her tail is not droopy at all. It's upright, actually.

She has drank some water, and I have given her some (approx 30 ml) by syringe as well. She is taking it well.
Since she laid the membrane only (no shell, nothing inside the membrane) I'm wondering what's left inside her? Or did she pass the rest of the egg somehow. Henrietta would lay eggs that were shell-less and the others would line up behind her for treat time. Yuck! Eventually EYP made her sick enough that we had to put her down. I'm wondering if Carolina is following down the same path.

Also: When feeding her the water/doughy crop solution she started kinda drooling a bit (brown, from the cinnamon)... mucos-consistency, but thinner. I had massaged her crop prior to that, so maybe just something coming back up?

Assuming that there IS something still inside, should I treat with anti-biotics? (I'm not a treat-everything-with-antibiotics kind of parent/pet owner. But it seems like there's enough evidence here to suggest infection. Her poop (what little there is of it) is runny and smelly. Her bottom is quite messy.

Thoughts???

Hello, Go one The Chicken Chick website...You will find what info you need there...

Good luck
Cheers!
Although I love the Chicken Chick, I could not find anything there that applied. Maybe I was searching the wrong terms?

UPDATE:
This morning she was the 3rd (out of 4) out of the coop, had an empty crop and started scratching right away.
I'm leaving her with the rest of the flock today, as she seems okay.

But my question now is: Antibiotics? (for what might or might not be left in her reproductive tract from yesterday's eggless/shell-less membrane only expulsion.

UPDATE: I gloved up and inspected the vent.  No egg... I lubricated for good measure anyway.
Then I gave the laxitive and did a 2nd crop massage.  First thing this morning her crop was as hard as a softball.  Now it's doughy (not squishy).  I am about to read up on what to do for that now.

She's moving about, slowly, and drinking sparingly.
My next move is to get some water in her.
Thank heavens it's Saturday.

How is she now? Is she drinking yet?

-Kathy

Hi Kathy. All day yesterday she was fine, eating and drinking normally. She slower for sure.

This morning she laid a shell-less egg and had herself a morning snack. This is exactly what happened with our favorite hen, Henrietta, so I'm sure that we are headed down the same road: EYP. Henrietta lasted about six months laying the occasional shell free egg before it caught up with her and we had to euthanize her. I figure it will be similar with Carolina and we'll continue to enjoy her company until she's no longer comfortable.

Hi Kathy. All day yesterday she was fine, eating and drinking normally. She slower for sure.

This morning she laid a shell-less egg and had herself a morning snack. This is exactly what happened with our favorite hen, Henrietta, so I'm sure that we are headed down the same road: EYP. Henrietta lasted about six months laying the occasional shell free egg before it caught up with her and we had to euthanize her. I figure it will be similar with Carolina and we'll continue to enjoy her company until she's no longer comfortable.

You could try starting her on some antibiotics in case an infection is causing her to lay shell less eggs, and you could give her oral calcium.

-Kathy

These types of repro tract infections can be treated if caught soon enough. The antibiotic I use to treat them is Baytri, which you can buy online without a prescription. However, it is banned for use in poultry, so you would want to research that if you want to eat her eggs.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom