Impacted Crop, Egg Bound too?

Thanks. I don't have Baytril on hand, but do have Tylan and Duramycin-10. Would either of those work? I've also read that penicillin or amoxicillin might work (and I could get those at a tropical fish store vs. drive 45 min to TSC)...

As far as eggs go, I don't always know who lays which egg. So I'd need to quarantine her again. Which makes her sad.

Hi. I have agal with a crop issue and laying issue. I noticed the other day that her crop is always enlarged, but soft. She has also only laid one egg in total. All of her coop mates are laying daily. She laid one egg almost 2 weeks ago and nothing since. We got them coop ready in mid march. Is her crop issue likely causing her not to lay, or is there somethibg else I should be on the lookout for?
Thanks in advance!

Thanks. I don't have Baytril on hand, but do have Tylan and Duramycin-10.  Would either of those work?  I've also read that penicillin or amoxicillin might work (and I could get those at a tropical fish store vs. drive 45 min to TSC)...

As far as eggs go, I don't always know who lays which egg.  So I'd need to quarantine her again.  Which makes her sad.  

Would be best to pick an antibiotic that will treat E. coli.

-Kathy

Hi. I have agal with a crop issue and laying issue. I noticed the other day that her crop is always enlarged, but soft. She has also only laid one egg in total. All of her coop mates are laying daily. She laid one egg almost 2 weeks ago and nothing since. We got them coop ready in mid march. Is her crop issue likely causing her not to lay, or is there somethibg else I should be on the lookout for?
Thanks in advance!
@lilestmommas , welcome to BYC!

Almost all crop problems are secondary to something else.

-Kathy

Last edited:
How to Check for a Stuck Egg

Put on a glove and water based lube and very gently insert you finger in the vent. If an egg is there you will feel it at about an inch in. Here are some pictures to help you visualize where the egg should be:

If you find a stuck egg and the hen is still pooping, tube warmed fluids at 10 ml per pound, wait 60-90 minutes, then tube more fluids and give calcium gluconate at 50mg per pound. Place hen in a steam filled bathroom and let the fluids and calcium do their magic.

Do not give oral fluids if the bird cannot poop!

If you want to learn how to tube fluids, send me a PM (private message)

-Kathy

Thanks. I don't have Baytril on hand, but do have Tylan and Duramycin-10. Would either of those work? I've also read that penicillin or amoxicillin might work (and I could get those at a tropical fish store vs. drive 45 min to TSC)...

As far as eggs go, I don't always know who lays which egg. So I'd need to quarantine her again. Which makes her sad.
This is the cheapest generic Baytril I could find:
http://www.wood-enterprises.com/65enfloxil25.html

For those that might want to buy Baytril, please don't waste your money on brand name Baytril, buy the generic (enrofloxacin). and buy the 10% injectable since it can be given orally or by injection. Pills are too hard to dose correctly, so don't bother with pills.

Google enfloxil and you will see many places sell it.

-Kathy

Last edited:
allbird products were cheaper but post little more but all over it was cheaper.
Just a saying thanks

RAHHH
barnie.gif
Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
@ladyearth, the enrofloxacin from allbirdproducts is not injectable, so I didn't mention it.

-Kathy

Last edited:
She's doing well. She seems to be moving a little slower than the rest but she doesn't seem to be in any pain. In fact, when I brought down a sunflower head that I have been drying for them she attacked it with the best of them! She's eating and drinking well but didn't lay today. I don't notice any swelling (at least not like I did with Henrietta). I have not tried antibiotics. I do supplement their water with a little calcium every other day because their egg shells are thinner than they should be. They have access to oyster shell but won't eat it unless I mix it in with crushed egg shells, which they LOVE.

Back
Top Bottom