Impacted crop - movable rectangular lumpy mass

wemimew

Songster
Apr 17, 2019
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have experienced an impacted crop like this before because it is a first for me.

I noticed one of my hens doing a lot of crop adjusting so I chased her down and found her crop has a very solid rectangular lumpy mass in it, about the same size as my thumb. It can be moved slightly and there is still plenty of room in the crop for food and liquid (watched her eat, drink and poop - all fine, no loss of condition). I got quotes for surgery and it would be over 700 - I simply cannot afford that at the moment (thanks covid19) and am contemplating removing it myself at home.

My question is do you think this is an impaction or a tumor/tissue mass? Her breath stinks like farts occasionally so I am guessing it is food - but it feels nothing like any impaction I have dealt with before.

I would be comfortable doing it myself if I was certain it was an impaction that could be removed - if it was a tissue mass that was growing inside I would probably put her down once her condition deteriorated as I don’t think I could help with that.

Any advice on this one would be amazing :bow

Back
Top Bottom