Impacted Crop... PLEASE HELP

wait... should i give him a day to get water in him since i can tube him easily... nothing is coming up but the water itself, it smells putrid

he has no muscle at all on his breast, and is sitting, he is very weak... my choices are:

1. put him down
2. try the surgery today
3. give him another day to hydrate him..

i thought i had made the decision to put him down but now im second guessing

its over. i cant do it anymore. i just checked on him he is no longer standing. i noticed this horrible thing too late, i should have done the surgery 3 days ago. we are putting him down, he is too weak to try anymore. thank you for all your help and support. he was a beauty.

Try the surgery what do you have to lose. We did it to our hen and she didn't bat an eye very little blood, pulled gobs of grass out and she's fine now. It's not a vascular area and you might learn something for the next time it happens. At least that was our thinking. She was going to die without surgery might as well do it and she was perky with in 30 mins after and hungry.

We super glued her back together, this was about 1 month ago.

Last edited:
My hen, though not as down as this guy seems, was not stressed a bit by the surgery. One person held her the other cleaned out the crop. My way of thinking is he's going to die if you don't do anything, might as well try the surgery, there's nothing to lose. Clean it out rehydrate him and give him a chance.

well i went out and he was practically laying down. i took him out and held him a minute, came in made sugar water and gave him some with the syringe without the tube (i used to hand feed baby cockatoos years ago this way). i decided to wait an hour and see if he perked up any. he is not laying down like he was but on his haunches again, but he looks slightly improved. i am going to keep giving him water w/ electolytes if he lives until tomorrow we will do the surgery. i watched it on you tube, the only thing i am concerned about is sealing the wound.. but i agree w/ above post, hes very weak, i doubt he will survive it... daytonfarm, can you explain the superglue? i guess you would fold over the crop, glue that, and then glue the skin?

Back
Top Bottom