Impacted crop question

Is the small mass gone from her crop? If so, and her poops are looking pretty normal then you can reduce the water in the mash and see how she does. The go back to regular feed and again see how she does. If the problem comes back you will have to back track again.
I'm honestly not sure if what I'm feeling is a marble-sized mass or just an empty crop, I suppose I should compare it to my other chickens. If that is still a small piece of impaction left, I should be able to get rid of it pretty easily. Can I start giving her access to grit again?

Yes, I'd give her access to grit. I would just monitor her closely for a few more days, make sure that no mass forms in the crop again, make sure that she continues to pass droppings normally. Did you , or are you, doing the worming 5 days in a row?
If she clears up and is fine after that then I'd suspect she may have had a worm load. Sometimes you will see dead or dying worms in droppings, but many times they are just digested and you won't see anything.
If she continues to have issues then there is likely something else going on. But I would give her a week following worming to return to normal. Sometimes they perk up a lot in a couple of days, sometimes it takes longer.

Yes, I'd give her access to grit. I would just monitor her closely for a few more days, make sure that no mass forms in the crop again, make sure that she continues to pass droppings normally. Did you , or are you, doing the worming 5 days in a row?
If she clears up and is fine after that then I'd suspect she may have had a worm load. Sometimes you will see dead or dying worms in droppings, but many times they are just digested and you won't see anything.
If she continues to have issues then there is likely something else going on. But I would give her a week following worming to return to normal. Sometimes they perk up a lot in a couple of days, sometimes it takes longer.
Will do. I ended up not worming yet, they didn't have the fenbendazole like I wanted so I figured I'd wait until they had it. She does seem to be digesting the soft food well, and has normal poops. Her tail is getting more and more perked up too, which (I assume) is good. I'll definitely keep a close eye on her, but I am going to have to get back to work monday, so I won't be able to check on her as often as I did the last week or so.

Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom