Impacted crop surgery outcome - good or bad?

They can live for days without food, but not without water, but you're there, I'm not, and she is your hen, so do what you think is best. And I do mean that in a nice way
big_smile.png
do you know how to tube?

Tubing chick starter doesn't work very well... it's too thick and clogs the tube and syringe. Go to Petsmart and get the baby bird food, you'll find it much easier to give. While you're there, if you don't already have a tube, buy some aquarium air line, then go to a feed store like Tractor Supply and get a big syringe. Aquarium air line will have to be modified by melting the end with a lighter so the edges aren't too sharp.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy, :) we already tub fed her 30 mils of the oregano sugar water, (she's likely under 1 kg but i didn't want to give her too little) we used a standard syringe and some aquarium tubing like you suggested, (being very careful to not put any water in her lungs).

I will get some bigger tubing and fit it to a modified syringe for the chick starter liquid.

Be very careful when giving any oil orally as I believe one drop of aspirated oil can cause lipoid pneumonia.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy, :) we already tub fed her 30 mils of the oregano sugar water, (she's likely under 1 kg but i didn't want to give her too little) we used a standard syringe and some aquarium tubing like you suggested, (being very careful to not put any water in her lungs).

I will get some bigger tubing and fit it to a modified syringe for the chick starter liquid.

A larger tube does make feeding easier, but not so big it won't fit easily down her esophagus. I have regular IV line here and thats what I use with a syringe. Everything has to be pretty liquid to get through that. I recommend lubing the tube with some olive or veg oil to make it easier on her, not dripping with it though. I'm not sure putting it down in the crop would be wise at this point. Would hate for it to irritate the wound. Maybe just part way down her throat.
Your bird sounds pretty weak. I've never had one that didn't want to eat afterward. I would get the food Kathy recommended. She needs some protein and carbs in her. If you can't get to pet store right away, I really would use some raw yolk and maybe some babyfood peas. Both are liquid enough to get in a tube and syringe.

When tubing crumbles andwater I use a size 30 french on all but young ones and banties. Next most common size I use is an 18. The 18 gets used for fluids on all birds over 300 grams.

-Kathy

:( sorry everyone, we were about to start feeding her and she suddenly had a tremor and died instantly.

Thanks everyone for your input we did the best we could.

:( sorry everyone, we were about to start feeding her and she suddenly had a tremor and died instantly.

Thanks everyone for your input we did the best we could.
So sorry , you did your best. We are facing an impacted crop also and are taking her in to try and message it out , I don't know what else to try except surgery.

Back
Top Bottom