Impacted crop surgery outcome - good or bad?

thanks, i am open to any antibiotics, if it means saving her, what would be the point of "natural or die"?
yes i might try oregano oil we likely have that here somewhere.... would hydrogen peroxide be a good eatable antibacterial? (highly diluted of course) hydrogenperoxide provides more oxygen to the blood, also kills bacteria, but i don't think I'll try that on her since she seems weak....

Thanks, I'll try oregano oil and honey, a boost and a disinfectant.

I don't know anything about the peroxide. She is likely weak because she has been cropbound and not getting any nutrition for who knows how long. Maybe the honey water will perk her up to eat. That is one thing about crop surgeries, if the chicken is too far gone, it may not help. Was she terribly boney or much smaller than the rest of the flock?

And as Kathy says, go ahead and give her water. Maybe a half ounce at a time, but often. After a couple of days, you can start leaving her more.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the peroxide. She is likely weak because she has been cropbound and not getting any nutrition for who knows how long. Maybe the honey water will perk her up to eat. I would also try some soft scramble egg, especially the yolk. Maybe even raw egg yolk put in her beak to get her some quick protein. That is one thing about crop surgeries, if the chicken is too far gone, it may not help. Was she terribly boney or much smaller than the rest of the flock?

And as Kathy says, go ahead and give her water. Maybe a half ounce at a time, but often. After a couple of days, you can start leaving her more.

I would very carefully tube about 30 ml per 2.2 pounds (30ml/kg) every 6-8 hours for 12-24 hours. Of course I would be careful not to overfill the crop, but that amount should be fine. Might be a good idea to use Pedialyte, Gatorade or sugar water. If after 12-24 hours she was pooping, I would tube Kaytee Baby Bird Food mixed at 1 part food, 2.5 parts water.

-Kathy

I don't know anything about the peroxide. She is likely weak because she has been cropbound and not getting any nutrition for who knows how long. Maybe the honey water will perk her up to eat. That is one thing about crop surgeries, if the chicken is too far gone, it may not help. Was she terribly boney or much smaller than the rest of the flock?

we will give her the oregano and honey today, no she wasn't boney to start, she started quite plump,just providing water wont do it, she wont drink, we will have to force water and force feed her, she's deteriorating a bit, this morning she's sitting slumped down on the right side but can still walk around if prompted.

Is she drinking enough?

-Kathy

no, she hasn't been drinking and just this morning we tried giving her food, she doesn't eat either, i think we will start force feeding and force watering.

Always hydrate *first*... force feeding a dehydrated bird or animal can kill them. Get yourself a tube and syringe, too, 'cause there is no way to safely syringe in the proper amount.

-Kathy

I would very carefully tube about 30 ml per 2.2 pounds (30ml/kg) every 6-8 hours for 12-24 hours. Of course I would be careful not to overfill the crop, but that amount should be fine. Might be a good idea to use Pedialyte, Gatorade or sugar water. If after 12-24 hours she was pooping, I would tube Kaytee Baby Bird Food mixed at 1 part food, 2.5 parts water.

-Kathy

yes, only just noticed your post after responding to the others with the same idea, by tubing you mean applying it into the entrance of her mouth? or actually putting a tub down her throat?

we will force water her with oregano oil in sugar water as specified per KG of chicken and per hour....

As for the food i want to feed her now, she is increasingly weak and needs fuel for her body and for healing, what do you think of mixing sugar chick starter and water? to create a liquid food.

Thanks.

(the reason i didn't get to giving her oregano is by the time our conversation came to that it was night time and she was sleeping)

Always hydrate *first*... force feeding a dehydrated bird or animal can kill them. Get yourself a tube and syringe, too, 'cause there is no way to safely syringe in the proper amount.

-Kathy

yes, just reading your last post i responded below, i will water her first then after a few hours feed her a liquidy hydrating food....

Thanks,
yes, only just noticed your post after responding to the others with the same idea, by tubing you mean applying it into the entrance of her mouth? or actually putting a tub down her throat?

we will force water her with oregano oil in sugar water as specified per KG of chicken and per hour....

As for the food i want to feed her now, she is increasingly weak and needs fuel for her body and for healing, what do you think of mixing sugar chick starter and water? to create a liquid food.

Thanks.

(the reason i didn't get to giving her oregano is by the time our conversation came to that it was night time and she was sleeping)

They can live for days without food, but not without water, but you're there, I'm not, and she is your hen, so do what you think is best. And I do mean that in a nice way :D do you know how to tube?

Tubing chick starter doesn't work very well... it's too thick and clogs the tube and syringe. Go to Petsmart and get the baby bird food, you'll find it much easier to give. While you're there, if you don't already have a tube, buy some aquarium air line, then go to a feed store like Tractor Supply and get a big syringe. Aquarium air line will have to be modified by melting the end with a lighter so the edges aren't too sharp.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom