Impacted crop

Julieeley1976

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
Hello one of our ladies has what seems to be impacted and from what I have read a sour crop. She has been eating grass when out in the garden and it doesn’t seem to have agreed with her x my husband has been massaging the crop and after reading the advice on here she has had olive oil in warm water (we don’t have coconut) and some Dulcolax. My husband massages the crop again after 30 minutes and she has now gone back to the coop to sleep. Is there anything else we should be doing?? Thank you Julie x

Attachments

• DFC3648C-17D9-404C-91DF-CFB663C017C3.jpeg
    DFC3648C-17D9-404C-91DF-CFB663C017C3.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 8
It’s sounds like your doing everything that you need to be doing. I’ve read apple cider vinegar can help sour crop, but I have used it myself. Are you withholding feed from her?

If you can, I would recommend setting up a little isolation area. That way you make sure she isn’t eating anything and make sure she’s pooping enough.

I would also recommend checking her over if you haven’t already. I had a hen with an impacted crop that just wouldn’t go away. Turns out her crop wasn’t the problem, but it was something further down, and her abdomen was really swollen.

It’s sounds like your doing everything that you need to be doing. I’ve read apple cider vinegar can help sour crop, but I have used it myself. Are you withholding feed from her?

If you can, I would recommend setting up a little isolation area. That way you make sure she isn’t eating anything and make sure she’s pooping enough.

I would also recommend checking her over if you haven’t already. I had a hen with an impacted crop that just wouldn’t go away. Turns out her crop wasn’t the problem, but it was something further down, and her abdomen was really swollen.

Did it go away in the end? Xx

Unfortunately her’s did not go away and she had to be culled. But in her case, I spent too much time treating an impacted crop, when it was something else causing it. By the time I realized it was something else it was too late.

But I have been able to treat impacted crop and sour crop successfully on a different hen.She’s better now and still going strong, although I do keep an eye on her a little more than the others. Just in case it happens to pop up again.

Unfortunately her’s did not go away and she had to be culled. But in her case, I spent too much time treating an impacted crop, when it was something else causing it. By the time I realized it was something else it was too late.

But I have been able to treat impacted crop and sour crop successfully on a different hen.She’s better now and still going strong, although I do keep an eye on her a little more than the others. Just in case it happens to pop up again.
What was the other issue? I'm stuck with a similar situation and I'd love to try to diagnose if something else is wrong before I call it and cull her.

What was the other issue? I'm stuck with a similar situation and I'd love to try to diagnose if something else is wrong before I call it and cull her.
I believe mine had water belly. Her abdomen was swollen, and by the time I figure out her crop wasn’t the root of the problem, it was already pretty bad.

Back
Top Bottom