Impacted crop

Chrissy D

Chirping
Feb 3, 2021
Magnolia, TX
I know there are tons of things on impacted crops. But I have a unique question that I have not found an answer to on this forum.

If the crop is extremely hard but I can move it and get a tube down into the crop below the mass, should I feed omnivore supplement to help this pullet with some nutrition? She has lost a lot of weight and she is so hungry. She is in good spirits, active and wants to roam. I assume if I can give her water, I could give her something so soupy that may help.

She just started this after a bout with another illness that was never given a specific diagnoses. I’m concerned this is a deeper issue than a crop. She stopped laying after that last issue.

Any input, as always, is much appreciated.

How long has the crop been impacted and what have you tried to get it loose?
Getting the crop cleared should be your goal. Never withhold fluids from a bird.
You can tube Kaytee baby bird formula if you need to, but getting the blockage moving is key.

Very often there is an underlying condition that is affecting crop function. Some common issues are reproductive disorders, worms, coccidiosis or infection. If she has something else going on, it can be difficult to get a crop to clear. If you lose her, then performing your own necropsy or sending the body to your state lab can give you useful information that you can draw upon the next time you see similar symptoms.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How long has the crop been impacted and what have you tried to get it loose?
Getting the crop cleared should be your goal. Never withhold fluids from a bird.
You can tube Kaytee baby bird formula if you need to, but getting the blockage moving is key.

Very often there is an underlying condition that is affecting crop function. Some common issues are reproductive disorders, worms, coccidiosis or infection. If she has something else going on, it can be difficult to get a crop to clear. If you lose her, then performing your own necropsy or sending the body to your state lab can give you useful information that you can draw upon the next time you see similar symptoms.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for this info. I brought her to the vet for the first illness. I can’t keep bringing chickens to the vet, it hurts me to say that as I am that person that has a hard time saying “it’s just a chicken”. They couldn’t find anything. I’m fairly convinced that there is something else going on... she only laid for 2 weeks then started with the first illness, now this a week after getting her well. Impact for about 2.5 days now. This evening it is smaller and a bit softer. I do want to learn everything I can so that I can handle it more efficiently and with more confidence if it does happen again. Not sure I could do my own necropsy, has a hard time cutting open the frog in biology class. Lol. But I’ll find out more info on sending her to the state lab. The more I know the better I can help my flock in times of trouble. I appreciate your input very much.

Thank you for this info. I brought her to the vet for the first illness. I can’t keep bringing chickens to the vet, it hurts me to say that as I am that person that has a hard time saying “it’s just a chicken”. They couldn’t find anything. I’m fairly convinced that there is something else going on... she only laid for 2 weeks then started with the first illness, now this a week after getting her well. Impact for about 2.5 days now. This evening it is smaller and a bit softer. I do want to learn everything I can so that I can handle it more efficiently and with more confidence if it does happen again. Not sure I could do my own necropsy, has a hard time cutting open the frog in biology class. Lol. But I’ll find out more info on sending her to the state lab. The more I know the better I can help my flock in times of trouble. I appreciate your input very much.
And yes I am doing the dulcolax and water with a tube feeder, she is drinking on her own but I am encouraging more fluids every hour on the hour and massaging the crop to try to move things along. She is bright and aggrevated bring in a cage and she is hungry. This evening I did give her some powdered nutrients prescribed by the vet when she wasn’t eating for nutrition as she feels so thin.

So her crop is still full in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink overnight, correct?

Not sure what else she may have going on, but often with laying hens that are not productive they may have something reproductive that is causing inflammation. Just a guess on that.

I would give some coconut oil as well and if it's been impacted for a while, then I would also go ahead and treat as sour crop.

Yes, her crop has been full. This morning I decided to set her back to the run and just let her be a chicken and let nature take its course. Later in the day I checked on her and her crop was no longer hard as a rock, it was now an obvious sour crop. So I went and purchased the yeast med and had started her on that. I also started her on yogurt. She doesn’t care for either, the med or yogurt So of course that is more fun, not. After her first illness she had been on antibiotics, I read both impacted crop and sour crop many times follows. Hoping I can get her through this. Not feeling a huge lump in her crop today was A good feeling.

Yes, her crop has been full. This morning I decided to set her back to the run and just let her be a chicken and let nature take its course. Later in the day I checked on her and her crop was no longer hard as a rock, it was now an obvious sour crop. So I went and purchased the yeast med and had started her on that. I also started her on yogurt. She doesn’t care for either, the med or yogurt So of course that is more fun, not. After her first illness she had been on antibiotics, I read both impacted crop and sour crop many times follows. Hoping I can get her through this. Not feeling a huge lump in her crop today was A good feeling.
For the yeast cream, I draw it up into a needless syringe, then direct oral dose them. Give a little at a time, they will swallow it.

Hopefully she will improve by just being with the flock, that's their happy place.

For the yeast cream, I draw it up into a needless syringe, then direct oral dose them. Give a little at a time, they will swallow it.

Hopefully she will improve by just being with the flock, that's their happy place.
Thanks again for caring enough to respond. She feels heavier today, getting ready to cook some eggs for her and the rest of the flock. Still soft and gooey crop so I will continue to do everything I can for her... She is still pooping...eating and drinking. I massage the crop regularly, and will do the cream for the 7 days and then see where we are. You are correct.... it is her happy place, you can see a big difference in her. Thanks Much!

Back
Top Bottom