Impacted Crop???

Just read your article, will get going in the advice; thank you!
I just noticed a small amount of discharge or something, do you have any advice on that, or is that sometimes “normal” for crop issues?
It's probably just her droppings. It looks like that because she's not eating.

I agree with @Tookie. A yellowish green poop can also mean she's not absorbing nutrients. A probiotic might help. Get acidophilis tablets where you buy human vitamins. Give one whole tablet a day.

Once you get the crop cleared, she will need special feedings to get her strength back. Cooked egg, tofu, applesauce, grated carrot, raw squash. And plenty of water. If she seems too weak to eat, syringe sugar water into her.

The bright yellow dropping can be a sign of a reproductive infection or egg laying problem. Can you get ahold of any amoxicillin antibiotic? Aqua Mox for fish is available online and sometimes in feed or pet stores. Dosage is 125-250mg twice a day given orally. Calcium citrate with vitamin D may also be given daily in case she is egg bound or passing egg matter.

Hi helpful friends, thanks for all of the advice and information.. she has come around and is back to being her sketchy self, and seems to have forgotten our bonding moments, and wont let me touch her without a fight again. :/
Her colour is very much returning and her confidence is coming back which is great!
I did notice her crop is still somewhat larger than I was hoping this morning. So I massaged it quickly. She also had explosive, projectile diarrhea yesterday at some point, is this cause for concern or a positive sign that things are moving?
I have been giving her watered down food and scrambled eggs (no milk) periodically (around 1/3-1/2C at a time) so she doesn’t over indulge and get impacted again. I have added organic ACV to her water.
How will I know when she’s good to be reintegrated to my flock? I am a bit concerned that because she is the bullied one and lowest in the pecking order, she will have issues again.
Thanks all!

The bright yellow dropping can be a sign of a reproductive infection or egg laying problem. Can you get ahold of any amoxicillin antibiotic? Aqua Mox for fish is available online and sometimes in feed or pet stores. Dosage is 125-250mg twice a day given orally. Calcium citrate with vitamin D may also be given daily in case she is egg bound or passing egg matter.
She actually hasn’t laid any eggs as of yet. Which is interesting since all the other girls that we got as ready to lay have been laying for a month now. I just assumed based on her size and the size of her comb that she was younger than the others and we got her prematurely. I am going to see if I can find the product you’ve recommended. Thanks!

That's good to hear that she's feeling better. If you had given oil and stool softener, that would explain the diarrhea burst. If that continues, though, try giving her boiled rice with keifer or buttermilk mixed in. Also, give her a probiotic tablet each day for several days to recolonize her intestines with good microbes. I prefer acidophillis. Get from the vitamin section of the pharmacy.

Hi helpful friends, thanks for all of the advice and information.. she has come around and is back to being her sketchy self, and seems to have forgotten our bonding moments, and wont let me touch her without a fight again. :/
Her colour is very much returning and her confidence is coming back which is great!
I did notice her crop is still somewhat larger than I was hoping this morning. So I massaged it quickly. She also had explosive, projectile diarrhea yesterday at some point, is this cause for concern or a positive sign that things are moving?
I have been giving her watered down food and scrambled eggs (no milk) periodically (around 1/3-1/2C at a time) so she doesn’t over indulge and get impacted again. I have added organic ACV to her water.
How will I know when she’s good to be reintegrated to my flock? I am a bit concerned that because she is the bullied one and lowest in the pecking order, she will have issues again.
Thanks all!
Glad she's doing better!

Back
Top Bottom