impacted or doughy crop?

salliet

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2017
Mattituck, NY
on of my girls had a large crop Wednesday morning. It was hard to the touch but I worked it for a while and it became a little softer and more pliable. a little water helped make it even softer. Thursday morning it was much smaller and softer. I was hoping it would have been gone this morning but no luck.
My issue... It is soft and doughy right now. It started out hard on Wednesday. Do I treat for impacted crop or doughy crop?

also - I did not remove her from the flock. She has been eating and acting normal.

update: I just isolated her. The mass is the same size (about the size of a tennis ball) and it is much firmer. I messaged it and it got more pliable.

my concern is that the treatments I've found for impacted crop are different from doughy crop and since she has had this for almost three days I don't want to waste any more time

Last edited:
They are the same - both fall under the heading of "impacted crop". You need to treat her with oil and massage. If that fails to break up the impaction, a stool softener may be required.

I discuss crop treatments thoroughly in this article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you. I gave her the treatment for doughy crop - before I saw your response - ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, lemon juice and water. she loved it but it hasn't seemed to do anything and the mass seems harder. can I go ahead with the coconut oil right away?

update: I gave her some coconut oil - she stopped eating it after about 1 1/4 tsps. We sat in the sun while I massaged her crop for ten minutes. The crop was pretty hard but it definitely reduced in size by almost half after ten minutes! She loved the massage too.

Do you have a trusted vet who might see her? I have been treating a hen with the same thing for about 5 weeks with vomiting her to empty her crop, tube feeding water, electrolytes with vitamins, plain yogurt, and Nystatin which is are the only reasons she has lived. She obviously has something else going on which started the crop problem, and is now losing balance, so her end is near.

Crop surgery can be safely performed by a vet if there is grass, straw, or food impacting her. Impacted crop leads to sour crop which gets much harder to treat. I have not ever had success in treating all 4 crop problems I have seen in 7 years of chicken keeping. Many times there is an underlying illness or crop slowdown that causes this problem. One of my cases involved a low pecking order hen who ate dried bark, grasses, and junk, even though we have multiple feed stations in the coop, run, and yards.

Back
Top Bottom