Impatience, ughh

Nov 7, 2021
Lyric's World
I have a brood of chickens out in the hoop coop and I am itching to unzip the brooder top to begin integrating them with the others. The chicks are now eight weeks old. The other birds are 22 weeks old. Cleaning is so much easier with them out amongst the others. Their brooder/pet playpen is ready for the trash at this point.

A light brahma is in this group and she is big enough to hold her own (I believe) with the rest. But, that brood also has a black frizzle :thumbsupand two silkies 🥰that seem so lil.

I have a brood of chickens out in the hoop coop and I am itching to unzip the brooder top to begin integrating them with the others. The chicks are now eight weeks old. The other birds are 22 weeks old. Cleaning is so much easier with them out amongst the others. Their brooder/pet playpen is ready for the trash at this point.

A light brahma is in this group and she is big enough to hold her own (I believe) with the rest. But, that brood also has a black frizzle :thumbsupand two silkies 🥰that seem so lil.
You can start integrating chicks that were raised in the presence of the original flock as early as 4 weeks.
You now have pullets. They are no longer chicks.
They can start integration now.
Ensure you have lots of space, lots of things in that space to perch on, get out of the line of sight of the originals and multiple feed/water stations spread far apart.

And now I'm confused...
Just went back into the Unanswered Threads list and saw your second thread that stated your younger birds were 5 weeks old. Are they 5 weeks old or 8 weeks old? If they are 5, you may want to have a huddle box available to them and remove all heat sources. Otherwise, follow the above guidelines and you should be fine.

You can use that brooder-ready-for-the-trash as a temporary panic room by cutting multiple chick-size openings in it. Keep their food and water in it so they can eat without being bullied.

I'm assuming the brooder is a cardboard box. You can cut windows in it and tape clear plastic or window screen over the holes so the chicks can observe the older chickens. They need to start learning the behavior quirks of the adults so they know whom to avoid and whom they can trust not to beat them up.

Or trash the brooder and rig a temporary safe pen in the run. This is how I did mine. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

Long ago, I gave up brooding my chicks separately from the flock. They now grow up in a special chick pen within the enclosed run. They are in full view of the adult flock the entire time. By the time they are two to three weeks old, I open the chick portals and they are mingling safely with the adults. It may sound risky for such young chicks to be loose among the big chickens, but they are very fast, returning regularly to their safe haven when they feel the need to relax.

By the time my chicks reach five weeks, they get moved into the coop and are roosting within a few days of my teaching them. I also teach them to go into the coop at night and they learn to do that in less than a week.

What works best is to let them do it safely without human intervention.

Set up one way gates, that the younger birds can go through, but full size birds cannot. By creating a safety zone, they will work it out in their own terms. I have used lattice panels, wire fencing they can fit through, or lifted off the ground a few inches. Put the younger chicks in there and sit and wait. When they finally get brave enough to come out, chase them back in. Once or twice is all it takes.

Feed and water in there, make sure there is shelter from the wind. Works like a charm. I do put a huddle box in there, and they usually go in it at dark. I then carry that to the coop at dark.

Mrs K

What seems early to one keeper can seem late to another. I start see but no touch immediately once the chicks arrive. Physical integration of my last batch began at 10 days and by 15 days the chicks had full coop and run access with the adults during daylight hours. Off heat and moved in with adults at just past 4 weeks. This was with spring weather... no clue if weather is an issue at your location right now.

As others note above it's all about space and resources and hiding spots, ensuring the chicks have a safe space they know how to access that the older birds cannot get into.

Back
Top Bottom