Impatiently waiting...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jbently28, May 13, 2019.

1. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    @Pyxis knows all about that kind of stuff.

Chick-N-Fun, Pyxis and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Was the male the khaki campbell, and the female a welsh harlequin? If yes, they will be sex linked :) Females will hatch with chocolate mallard coloring (aka nutmeg), and males will hatch with normal mallard coloring, also known as grey.

3. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    Yes the drake was the khaki and mama is the Welsh. I'm so excited now. That will make it so much easier when rehoming and deciding who to add to my flock. I've seen lots of people talk about sexlinked ducklings, but never had a full understanding of how it would work with WHs and KCs. Thank you so much!

4. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I'm excited about your hatch too! Pyxis is so awesome with the genetics and all that. It makes my head hurt trying to understand that but what she told you even I can understand!

In about 2 weeks I'll be hatching 14 runners (if all goes well) that are all mixed up in colors! Fawn/white & black drakes with blue, chocolate and fawn/white girls.. It's going to be like the "box of chocolates" in Forrest Gump!

5. pamelajean

pamelajean Songster

Aug 3, 2017
    British Columbia
    :pop

Chick-N-Fun and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    I've tried reading into genetics time and time again, but like you said, definitely a headache trying to understand it all. I cant wait to see your mix when they hatch. I'm sure they will be gorgeous.

7. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    So I went out to feed everyone this morning. Mama was taking a lot longer than usual to come out to eat. She finally came out so I snuck a peak once again. She had all of the eggs pretty well hidden, but the one that I could see looks like it has pipped! 20190515_062513.jpg 20190515_063212.jpg

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Awesome now it’s just waiting! Hard to do. When she brings them out do you have a safe place set up for her and the kids? I have pips on the 3 Runner eggs under my hen to. Looking forward to seeing your ducklings!!

DuckyDonna likes this.
  9. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    Yes we have a temporary enclosure all set up for them. It's a large 10 x 6 A frame chicken enclosure that we no longer use. We placed a large dog house in it with hay for them to get into since they obviously can't roost in the elevated nesting boxes. And it's right smash Dan in the middle of all the rest of the chickens and ducks so everyone can get acclimated to the new ducklings. Now the trick will be catching them all. I'm assuming I'll have to wait until night time to move them. That's assuming I'll be able to reach them.

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

She'll bring them out and then you can catch them. Although if you wait till night it will be easier since they will all be under mama. Sounds like the ideal place for mom and babes to meet and greet the rest of the family.

Jbently28 and DuckyDonna like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: