Impending 24hr power outage. Help fam!

Do you have any kerosene lanterns. I've used them before when I've lost power for a few days. It's also what farmers used to heat their brooders with before electricity was available in rural areas. Yeah, fire hazard but with a careful setup and watch, should be ok.

I do. I'll have to get it out and see what's possible. Thanks!

What are your temperatures projected to be on that day? It's usually pretty warm in So Cal even in October... quite possibly you won't need to provide additional heat.

Otherwise I think the handwarmer idea should work.

It's supposed to peak at 78 here in SoCal and 54 at night. I don't think the outage will go into the night. They always over-project.

I do. I'll have to get it out and see what's possible. Thanks!
Opps, I forgot to mention, you will need a well ventilated area for that setup, if you use kerosene. Some of the lamp oils can be burned in an indoor situation but lamp oil doesn't have the amount of BTU's that kerosene has or even the synthetic kerosene oil.

I was thinking something similar. Get a box of hand warmers and pile em up. Maybe I can get some in bulk for cheap or cheep :p That or I was thinking I can boil some rocks on my gas stove and use those to retain heat in some sort of sack, then make it into a nest.

Costco sells boxes of 100 hand warmers

Hello friends,

There's going to be a scheduled power outage in my area for 24 hours. This is going to happen around the time my chicks are 5 days old. Any ideas on what to do to keep them warm? Do I need to call off work and let them sit on me with blankets? lol

Thanks for any insights and ideas. I'm worried about my four lil floofs!

So ... what did you end up doing?

if anyone else has that problem...try an inverter hooked to a car battery. you may need to start the car every 2 hours for a bit otherwise works well. I used it in a car in the summer to run a heating pad on day old chicks for almost three hours until we got them home. the chicks
were quite toasty.

Back
Top Bottom