Impending Vacation

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by desertgirl, Aug 6, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Dh and I are going to Europe next month for two weeks. There are still no other Critter Sitters here in NM, so I guess we are on our own.
    My BIL and SIL will check on them, but I'm not sure about frequency. If they come by a few (2-3 )times per week to check on them and I leave huge things of feed and water, think they'll be ok? Also, they are used to free ranging during the day. As there may not be anyone consistantly letting them in and out, we have started changing their schedule a bit (keeping them in during the day, letting them out later etc). Does this sound stupid? [​IMG]

It just seems like they are kind of creatures of habit, and I don't want to rock their little worlds![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    ?

3. Metanoia

Metanoia Chirping

Aug 4, 2009
    South Australia
    Noone commented yet??

I'll have a crack.

I guess it depends on the expected weather of the weeks you're away.

If the temperature remains mild and the food containers are large enough and safe from pests like mice, then I think it will be ok as long as they are checked twice a week so that someone is keeping their water clean and food topped up.

If it was going to be very hot or very cold then I think they'd need extra attention.

4. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    For petsitters try checking with your local boarding barn.
    Horseowners NEED someone at least once a day when they're off the farm. And if someone is capable of caring for horses, chickens should be no problem - meaning they will be used to making sure water is clean and gates are latched. They also can scoop poop for you if needed.

My horsesitter took care of my chickens when I had to go to CA for a week.
    She charges $10/visit and I need her to come twice a day for the horses anyhow, so adding a chickencheck was no Biggie to her.

I feel more comfortable with someone coming by at least once a day, but I do leave my housecat on her own - with a huge bowl of dry food and an auto-waterer for as long as a week.
    Tihs time I had the horsesitter check on her too, but just one time to give her some canned food.

5. cristy17

cristy17 Songster

We go on vacation for a week at a time. Usually my mom or FIL "chicksits". I put out 2 3-gallon feeders and 2 5-gallon waterers before I leave. The folks are there everyday to check on the flock. Even if they did skip a day, the birds are fine. The eggs just add up. I have 20 assorted birds and 3 ducks and we haven't had a problem yet.

6. Oh my. Once a day is minimum, in my estimation. I'd want twice a day, actually, to ensure no accidents or predation. Promise your caregivers something very nbice from your trip...or look for a 4-H kid who would like the responsibility and some cash.

7. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    There are some neighborhood kids in our place of residence, and they ALL love coming to look at the chickens and fight about who gets to take care of them! I pay about 5.00 a day for them.

8. Land of Lost Toys

Land of Lost Toys In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Ohio
    Neighbors...? My neighbors couldn't wait until we got chickens. They are happy to care for them while we are out of town because they get the eggs. For 6 months all I kept hearing was, "when are you getting the chickens?" Now, I hear, "Are you going out of town? We'll watch the chickens."

9. siroiszoo

siroiszoo Songster

Apr 30, 2009
    Waller, TX
    Have you tried going to www.petsit.com; clicking on the "Locate a Pet Sitter" at the top right; then typing in your zip code?

Susan
    Pet Sitter
    Waller, TX

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: