Important Lesson learned

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ktribe808, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Ktribe808

Ktribe808 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    It is bitter cold here, a wind chill of -10F. The girls have a water fount heater inside their coop, but I learned the hard way you cannot use ACV with a metal fount so I got a new one when the old one started to rust. So I have a plastic water fount in their attached outside pen, that I have wrapped in greenhouse film.

The greenhouse film along with a microwavable heating pad (it looks like a fat frisbee) keeps the outside water thawed during the day and I add ACV to that one.

SO I was juggling the heated microwave pad, the plastic fount, a gallon of water spiked with ACV and a bag of greens and sunflower seeds when I spied a freshly laid egg. With the lack of hands, I quickly stuffed the egg in my coat pocket. DO NOT DO THIS! The coat is in the washer as I write this!
  2. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

And the egg was not frozen...lucky you [​IMG]
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    HA! The pocket scramble. [​IMG] I've done it more than once.
  4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Me too, I've made more pocket omelets than I'd like to admit. And, I once collected eggs (wearing my husbands coat) and left an egg in the pocket so long the insides completely dried up. I gathered eggs in the winter and then wore the coat the next winter and found the egg when I stuck my hand in the pocket. It never smelled, but still, that's pretty bad :oops:
  5. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Pocket scramble, pocket omelet, that's funny stuff! My Hubby did that to himself a few weeks ago[​IMG] I'll have to tell him there's a name for that! (shhh, I've done it too and not telling him that)
  6. myfarm4579

myfarm4579 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Haha that's funny stuff. I done the same thing. Put a couple in my pocket and forgot bout them till next morning when reaching for my egg covered car
  7. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I currently have 3 eggs in my car...

Brought them to work unexpectedly...started out with 5 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by