Imprinting question.....

Hybridchucks

Queen Of The Coop
7 Years
Jul 13, 2016
Burdsville
My Coop
My Coop
My call duckling Pippa every morning is doing her "quacking noise" at me till i get up and spend time with her, the question is...when she is old enough to be outside with my 7 hens and two ducks, how will she react if i just let her move in with them? As she will probably quack till i come for her.....we are very close and I'm just wondering how to move her in or will she have to live in the house or close by?? Do you understand what I'm saying...i think she will find it hard to part from me since she is with me MOST of the time.....?
Ps she is a call duck and the other two ducks are khaki campbell....and by the way she is 35 days old at present.............thanks in advance...
DSC04079.jpg

-Y

My call duckling Pippa every morning is doing her "quacking noise" at me till i get up and spend time with her, the question is...when she is old enough to be outside with my 7 hens and two ducks, how will she react if i just let her move in with them? As she will probably quack till i come for her.....we are very close and I'm just wondering how to move her in or will she have to live in the house or close by?? Do you understand what I'm saying...i think she will find it hard to part from me since she is with me MOST of the time.....?
Ps she is a call duck and the other two ducks are khaki campbell....and by the way she is 35 days old at present.............thanks in advance...View attachment 1040932

-Y

she could stay inside with you which do you prefer.

I've had a lot of animals in my life and believe that Mother Nature is wise and has given her creatures (even the ones we've altered through domestication) the strength to deal with much of life's challenges. I firmly believe that animals are better off living with their own kind and while they may bond with us, our relationship doesn't fill their instinctive needs the way another of their own kind can.

If it was me, when the time comes, I'd just put her out there and see how she does with it. She might surprise you and really bond with her new duck friends. Her quacking now might not really be for you, but quacking for companionship in general. Since you are all she knows right now, she is attached to you and sees you as her flock. But what fun it will be to see her doing ducky activities and behaviors with other ducks! The whole reason ducks live in flocks is because living with others of their kind is the most natural and instinctive thing for them to do. The reason she is so attached to you is because there were no other ducks around to bond to. Now you can give her a real flock.

If you are worried about how they will all get along, have her spend short amounts of time with the other ducks while you are there to supervise. Give her safe areas to get to in case they bully her a bit in the beginning and make sure they aren't keeping her from the food or anything because she's new. Search the forum using the term "integration" and you will get tons of posts that give suggestions about how to introduce ducks and chickens to new flock members.

i have already introduced them, they do very well together but.....I AM HER MUM! sounds weird but I AM!
She thinks the ducks are "ok" but she is a "human".....
She goes shopping with me in the car and sits in the seat and preens herself.......she does EVERYTHING with me....you must understand she is mostly "human" don't tell me she isn't......i know she is a duck but its from her point of view.......thanks for the replies!

My thoughts are also that she would be much happier with her Duck friends...Start leaving her out with them to get her more attached to Ducks than yourself....A few hours a day till she no longer needs to come back inside with you...She is old enough...:frow

i have already introduced them, they do very well together but.....I AM HER MUM! sounds weird but I AM!
She thinks the ducks are "ok" but she is a "human".....
She goes shopping with me in the car and sits in the seat and preens herself.......she does EVERYTHING with me....you must understand she is mostly "human" don't tell me she isn't......i know she is a duck but its from her point of view.......thanks for the replies!

oh and they don't bully her....
You are not her mum....let her be a duck with the other ducks.

Back
Top Bottom