Imprinting

yanakaye

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 7, 2014
Hi everyone, Im a new duck mum! we bought our two ducklings when they were 9 days old, they are now 18 days old and when we first brought them home they were petrified of us, cowering in the corner and moving away if we even reached for them, im guessing they imprinted on eachother as one was always shielding the other and they were huddled together. Within a few days they seemed to get used to us. I should mention that they are house ducks and only live in our house along with us. Now they fret if we leave them, if we get up they come running after us, they still dont like being picked up and move when away when you try and pat them unless you put them on your lap then they are happy to play and cuddle and let you stroke and kiss them. they are now quite happy to climb all over us and try and eat my hair and sleep on our laps and even though they still dont like being picked up they dont stress as much as they used to. i have read that imprinting happens within the first few days, but considering they hate being away from us, does anyone think its possible they might have imprinted really late? any opinions on the situation will help :) thanks. Also one is a bit poorly at the moment, sneezing, clear liquid running from his beak and a puffy swollen cheek, we have got some soluble tylan from the vets and am on day 3 of the course, wanting to know if anyone else has experienced this and wanting to know if tylan worked? thanks.

It would make sense they may have some separation anxiety if when you around them you are giving them all your attention- also, 'naturally' you are their mom. I could suggest letting them do duck stuff together when you are around them. Perhaps do what you may normally do if they were not there, around them- that way you may acknowledge them and they you, but are a bit separated- Maybe that will help them keep calmer.
I don't know much about medication but I am sure it wouldn't hurt to put some raw apple cider vinegar in their water.

Last edited:
I doubt it is imprinting at this stage - you just have 2 new friends is all :)
They get used to you - you bring food, water and warmth.
Ducks like routine; you are now part of the routine so they will like to be around you.
If you leave imprinted ducklings alone then there would be no doubt about it - they don't just fret: they get really really distressed.
As nice as it is to be imprinted upon - it's a massive pain and is as distressing for you to leave them as it is for them to be left!
As for the running nose - make sure they're warm enough and that their bedding is clean and dry (as far as is possible with ducklings at any rate!)

Others will have more advice on that

Check out the thread "puffy cheeks", sounds like a nare might be clogged up.....can they dip their entire head into water? They need to be able to do that to keep eyes and nares clean

yes the nares are clear, i can see straight through them, and yes they dunk their whole heads under water, they get bathed at east 4 times a week.

Ducks are very mysterious in a lot of 'their ways,' while being individually unique like us! The more time you spend with them early on, the closer they will become. Sounds cliche' I know, but they are no different than we are. Here are some tips:

Talk to them normally and not just in that cute high pitch baby voice.
Over the years I've discovered this interesting, "wait, what the...you're all of a sudden being so sweet and normal," moment. So many times, when I would just talk to them normally while working in the garden/random yard stuff, they would just relax and be normal and do their own thing. A lot of times they would just sit and watch and when you got up they would follow...call it bonding moment or whatever it is that happens, but just the raw time you spend with them being present creates that trust and you as their guardian.

They will warm up once they realize that you are a friend and not a threat. After all you are the one that brings them food...they'll learn quick LOL.

OH! And as for the cold....Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar works wonders. Works every time. ONLY USE BRAGG'S BRAND w/ the Mother. Not all ACV are created equal. Normally the ratio is about 2 tablespoon per 1 gallon of water, BUT ...I've always done a shot glass full of ACV per 1 Gallon or less...even with 1/2 a gallon of water to 1 shot glass full for when they are sick/ill (almost never)...As maintenance I always put a shot glass full in 1 gallon of water. My ducks are extremely healthy, happy and hilarious.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom