In about 2-3 years, I'll be creating a new Breed of chicken called the Emerald Dragon.(Discussion)

What do you think about a new breed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Big Boy, or the other cockerel?
I think Big Boy is obviously a good choice for his size and height, but I think the other one has more so the type and legs you'd want to select for. It's a tough call. I think if you were to take them and cross them to a complimentary hen (Big Boy w/ a more gamey, longer legged pullet; and the other cockerel w/ a more heavy bodied and tall pullet or hen), you might have some success in getting a bit closer to the eventual goal.

Once you get birds with the proper type and size, inbreed them (line breeding, ideally not full siblings) to set the type. Ideally, I think you should make 3 lines that are relatively unrelated so if you ever need to bring in some more genetic diversity you can do so without having to worry about disrupting the set traits of the birds. Once you start getting consistent type and size, all you'd have left to do is bring the fibro and longtail genes into the mix!

I think Big Boy is obviously a good choice for his size and height, but I think the other one has more so the type and legs you'd want to select for. It's a tough call. I think if you were to take them and cross them to a complimentary hen (Big Boy w/ a more gamey, longer legged pullet; and the other cockerel w/ a more heavy bodied and tall pullet or hen), you might have some success in getting a bit closer to the eventual goal.

Once you get birds with the proper type and size, inbreed them (line breeding, ideally not full siblings) to set the type. Ideally, I think you should make 3 lines that are relatively unrelated so if you ever need to bring in some more genetic diversity you can do so without having to worry about disrupting the set traits of the birds. Once you start getting consistent type and size, all you'd have left to do is bring the fibro and longtail genes into the mix!
My sister will be working on the half with the EEs, & Brahmas. So, I can show her this post. Thanks.

For my Orpington project I was pretty much stuck with breeding full siblings, but now I have new Orpington blood I can introduce, & Barred Rock. I use Barred Rocks for the barring genes.

My Orpingtons were before, 80% Orpington 10% Australorp, & 10% Barred Rock.

Now they're 90% Orpington, 5% Australorp, & 5% Barred Rock.

Parents
20200621_152412.jpg
20200707_142126.jpg
Son.
20200731_100603.jpg
20200730_153040.jpg

My sister will be working on the half with the EEs, & Brahmas. So, I can show her this post. Thanks.

For my Orpington project I was pretty much stuck with breeding full siblings, but now I have new Orpington blood I can introduce, & Barred Rock. I use Barred Rocks for the barring genes.

Parents View attachment 2278595View attachment 2278596Son.View attachment 2278597View attachment 2278598
Cool project, are you trying to make buff barred Orpingtons?

Parents View attachment 2278595View attachment 2278596Son.View attachment 2278597View attachment 2278598
Almost reminds me of a Bielefelder. They are gorgeous.

Yea if I was ever going to try to make a new breed I'd solely focus on crossing Cream Legbar with Buckeyes and focus on blue eggs, good foraging behavior, gentle temperament, auto sexing barring, and large body size.

Yea if I was ever going to try to make a new breed I'd solely focus on crossing Cream Legbar with Buckeyes and focus on blue eggs, good foraging behavior, gentle temperament, auto sexing barring, and large body size.
Sounds interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom