In an emergency, is it safe to eat the geese at my local park?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
How is it predetermined? I'm curious to know! But it isn't supposed to be a teaching game. Few of the classic kiddie games are.

I had a book once that told you the odds and everything, the history of Monopoly. That was an awesome book.

There's no choices to make. The way candyland works is you shuffle the deck, you draw one card to move to the nearest space of that color and then you do what the space says, right?

As soon as the deck is shuffled and who goes first is chosen, the person who wins the game is already set in stone and will not be able to change. Play order can't change, you can't make a choice that will effect the outcome. You simply draw cards and move pieces until the "game" is completed. There is no dice roll or choices to be made that change the outcome. This "game" is literally the same as shuffling a standard deck of cards and then drawing cards to find out which suit of cards is drawn fully from the deck first.

Compare it to a very similar game - Sorry. In this game you draw cards to move spaces as well but you have choices because you have four pawns. You can pick which piece to move which changes the outcome of the game. A "one" can let you move out of start or into your home square instead of moving a useless piece only one space. A small card may be chosen for a piece further from home when it's not as useful because it lets you knock someone elses piece back to start. The outcome is determined by choices made and is not set in stone the moment the game begins.

Even a game with no real choices or strategy, like Hi Ho Cherry-O (a game where you spin a dial and move that many cherries from a tree into your basket and whoever fills their basket first wins), has variance, because all the moves are determined by a spinner which can be spun hard or soft and may land in any space. The only way to know who won is to play the game WITH the other person until the end. I can't play on my own and get the exact same result.
I could "play" a game of candyland on my own and the outcome would be identical to if I "played" it with another person. Which means, it's not really a game at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom