In-breeding or not?

Even if they happen to be brother/sister matings, it's not what most people would have you believe. There is no voodoo happening on close inbreeding, that causes deformities. All that happens, is you increase your odds of undesirable traits that come from recessive genes pairing together, thus expressing the trait. The good thing about this, is you can identify them and cull them from your stock. A negative trait cannot express unless those genes exist in your stock to begin with. Once you make your initial crosses, you can set up lines if you plan to delve into a long term breeding program. If not, then a few generations of brother to sister crossing, with careful selection on both the parents and the offspring and you'll be just fine.

Here's how I introduce new birds to a group. First, I make sure they're about the same size. Then I put them all into a neutral pen with the new birds being put in a day earlier. I let them beat on each other - they have to establish the pecking order. After a few days in the neutral pen, I can put them into the previous pen and the worst of their fighting is over.

Quote:
You are OK do not worry about it. Since your are not planning on showing and are planning on selling eggs for eating you can do what you wish without any problems. Just keep track of which females lay your largest eggs and which of the offspring from them do and what roos bred that offsring. That way you know which one are producing your jumbo eggs.

Back
Top Bottom