in breeding?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amyella, Nov 28, 2016.

1. amyella

amyella Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    I have a Delaware Amaurcana mix rooster and a golden laced wyandotte Amaurcana mix hen. They both have the same father (Amaurcana rooster) so they are half siblings, could I breed them together? I'm just wanting to grow my flock for food purposes, i am not breeding to sell. Is this possible to hatch chicks from fertilized eggs or would the chicks die because of inbreeding and all the different breeds being mixed together?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on your first post. Half siblings with such diverse DNA would be fine to mate together. Poultry actually handle inbreeding quite well.

3. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Might have to get him blinders! [​IMG]

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    x2

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

some folks will say you should never breed siblings or half siblings, but I've done it several times for my own flock and not had any issues.

half siblings, especially, you're good. As long as the parent stock are healthy, the offspring will be healthy. This is actually a decent way to test for any recessive issues the rooster in common might be carrying....if the chicks wind up with anything funky, you'll know he had some recessive issue. But, that's pretty rare. Most birds are healthy, with no "hidden" health issues. For a generation or so, you'll be fine. I fine it's best to bring in a new male every 4 years or so, just to keep things fresh.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Sourland

7. amyella

amyella Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    Thanks guys! Good to know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by