in breeding?

amyella

In the Brooder
May 14, 2016
I have a Delaware Amaurcana mix rooster and a golden laced wyandotte Amaurcana mix hen. They both have the same father (Amaurcana rooster) so they are half siblings, could I breed them together? I'm just wanting to grow my flock for food purposes, i am not breeding to sell. Is this possible to hatch chicks from fertilized eggs or would the chicks die because of inbreeding and all the different breeds being mixed together?

Congratulations on your first post. Half siblings with such diverse DNA would be fine to mate together. Poultry actually handle inbreeding quite well.

Might have to get him blinders!
hide.gif

welcome-byc.gif

some folks will say you should never breed siblings or half siblings, but I've done it several times for my own flock and not had any issues.

half siblings, especially, you're good. As long as the parent stock are healthy, the offspring will be healthy. This is actually a decent way to test for any recessive issues the rooster in common might be carrying....if the chicks wind up with anything funky, you'll know he had some recessive issue. But, that's pretty rare. Most birds are healthy, with no "hidden" health issues. For a generation or so, you'll be fine. I fine it's best to bring in a new male every 4 years or so, just to keep things fresh.

Back
Top Bottom