In construction - tips welcomed.

Just from what I've read on here, a healthy adult, cold hardy breed, should be ok around -25F outside, as long as they have protection against winter winds/storms.

As far as super extremes, over -50F in an unheated coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-cold-is-too-cold-check-this-out.1345546/
Thanks. I think all my breeds are cold hardy and it rarely gets below -25. Usually I close up the coop windows in the winter, but I think I should leave them open for the ventilation.

I'm in Ohio so I understand the temperature change my coop is summer heat winter cold friendly I have plywood inserts that fit into the frame of my coop there is 2 1/2 walls of screen and 1solid wall and my coop is in the shade too ventilation isn't just for the heat it is also to keep them healthy they naturally produce dust and the ventilation is to keep them from getting dust lung it can kill them

Attachments

• 20200603_075646.jpg
    20200603_075646.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20200603_075630.jpg
    20200603_075630.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
I'm in Ohio so I understand the temperature change my coop is summer heat winter cold friendly I have plywood inserts that fit into the frame of my coop there is 2 1/2 walls of screen and 1solid wall and my coop is in the shade too ventilation isn't just for the heat it is also to keep them healthy they naturally produce dust and the ventilation is to keep them from getting dust lung it can kill them

I do have my birds in a shady Woodsy area. I have always worried about them getting cold in the winter and worried about predators so I have always buttoned them up pretty tightly. I realize now that I may not have encouraged enough ventilation. I will need to rethink my winter plan for my new birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom