In construction - tips welcomed.

Will they like it if their nesting boxes are under the roosts on the floor?

Floor height nests are fine but I wouldn't have them right under the roost unless you're putting poop boards overhead to protect from... splatter. :hmm

Even with my coop closed up pretty tight It has gotten cold enough for some of my chickens to have gotten their combs frost bitten. My birds love to roost up in the rafters. It’s pretty airy up there.

Frostbite is moisture + cold. By "closing it up tight" you're causing moisture to build up in the coop, which can worsen frostbite. Hence why it's important in most climates to have ample ventilation available year round.

Obviously if you're talking -25F or more then yes the cold itself becomes a concern.

I know I probably don’t have enough ventilation in my coop. I was worried about the winters here. I live in Vermont. My coop has four small windows and a door on each end. It does get a little stuffy in there in the winter when I have a full coop. I keep a red heat light near their water to give them some heat if they get really cold. Even with my coop closed up pretty tight It has gotten cold enough for some of my chickens to have gotten their combs frost bitten. My birds love to roost up in the rafters. It’s pretty airy up there.
Often frostbite can happen right around freezing, if the coop is closed up too tightly because of the resulting higher humidity.

Floor height nests are fine but I wouldn't have them right under the roost unless you're putting poop boards overhead to protect from... splatter. :hmm

Frostbite is moisture + cold. By "closing it up tight" you're causing moisture to build up in the coop, which can worsen frostbite. Hence why it's important in most climates to have ample ventilation available year round.

Obviously if you're talking -25F or more then yes the cold itself becomes a concern.
It may have been that cold when the frost bite occurred. It wasn’t all of them, just a few. It doesn’t seem to get moist in the coop In the coldest winter months. I have the worst time during the spring thaw and trying to clean the coop.

The problem with vents on all eves in windy locations is then a bunch of snow can blow in (or... it did in my coop, I had to close up most eve vents. Vents lower down were ok. No idea why)
Having fascia helps block wind/snow coming in soffit vents.
Tho on a clerestory roof, like mine and @Ruby Rogue, snow built up on lower roof will get blown into the upper soffit vents.
I fixed that last year by stuffing furnace filter into the openings.
Not sure how great it worked because we didn't get nearly as much snow as usual last winter.
1594416245879.png

Add an 'eyebrow' up top and fascia to all eaves.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/
1594416459561.png

I fixed that last year by stuffing furnace filter into the openings.
Wow, great idea!

I just stuck feed sacks into the holes. :lau
I do have a deep roof overhang... but somehow on my coop the air does a rotating vortex circling thing when the eve holes are all open.

But then physics was never my strong suit. :old

This is what we have going on here so far roof wise. So far, it's half framed up. I have a great 'summer coop' thankfully. This has been a work in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_20200710_1925469.jpg
    IMG_20200710_1925469.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200710_1925338.jpg
    IMG_20200710_1925338.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom