In dire need of a Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by klucksandsuch31, Oct 1, 2014.

1. klucksandsuch31

klucksandsuch31 New Egg

Jul 23, 2014
    my White Leghorns are laying tons of fertile eggs, but they refuse to set. I really want to raise some chicks off of them, and I don't have a broody breed hen. any suggestions, comments????

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Most strains of leghorns go broody very rarely. You may want to get some silky or Cochin hens if you want to hatch your own chicks.

3. dippyegg

dippyegg Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2014
    Norwich England
    Im having the same problem i have white stars and wanted to put some fertile eggs under them but they just wont go broody!!

4. Coralietg

Coralietg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    I have several bantams that won't stop going broody. After I kept removing eggs, one of them snuck under the shed and raised 6 babies. Then another 5 after that. I'm ready to make broody stew, lol. So I'd recommend bantams.

5. dippyegg

Sep 30, 2014
    Norwich England
    Could i introduce bantams to my chickens or would they get bullied?

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Its a possibility. Leghorns do tend to be a more aggressive breed. You don't necessarily need to go the bantam route to get a broody, though. Breeds like standard Cochins, Buff Orpingtons, Austrolorps, Games and many others are notorious for being setters. And, are much less likely to be pushed around by your Leghorns. Or, you could just buy an incubator, then you could hatch eggs whenever you wanted, without having to wait on a hen to sit on them ;)
    Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  7. dippyegg

Sep 30, 2014
    Norwich England
    Thanks for the tips!! Maybe a bigger hen would be a fairer battle lol:p will look and see what birds are for sale near me

8. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Thats why I have silkies =)

9. dippyegg

Sep 30, 2014
    Norwich England
    My sister has silkies and said i could have a couple of her fertile eggs,going to get some Orpington and hope they will sit on them!!

1 person likes this.
  10. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

It's getting late in the year for a hen to go broody. It does happen occasionally through the winter, but don't count on it and when you are wanting a hen to go broody, it's like a watched pot, it never boils, so don't expect to get one of the suggested breeds and for it to go broody and raise chicks any time soon.
    Firstly it will need to settle in and start laying, which usually takes 2-4 weeks, then it will lay for several weeks, to produce a clutch of eggs, before it gets to the point of wanting to set. By that time we will be into winter and that will probably suppress the broody instinct, so you may be looking at Spring/summer next year before your mother hen is actually in broody mode. You might also find the one you buy, doesn't go broody at all. Just because a breed of hen is prone to it, doesn't mean an individual will go broody.

Apologies if you are already aware of these facts, it just sounded like you were after a quick fix and much as I love hatching chicks with a broody hen, they do it in their own good time. If you decide to go for an incubator and raise some now, be aware that you will need to keep the chicks warm through the winter.

Best wishes

Barbara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by