In Hawaii, I can only find sand, black cinder, and red cinder...all made from lava rock. Ok for coop floor?

BigIsland

In the Brooder
May 16, 2022
Aloha everyone,
I've read several threads for a while and decided to join. I'm getting new chicks in a couple weeks and am building a new coop and run. For the run floor, on top of the dirt, I'd like to use sand. My issue (or maybe it's not an issue?) is that here in Hawaii I can only find sand, black cinder, and red cinder...which are all made from lava rock at a quarry. I can get play sand at HD, but am ruling that out from the threads I've read.
Does anyone know if aged lava rock sand/cinder is good, ok, or dangerous for chickens?
Mahalo for your input!

Last edited:
I use play sand (dry) from Home depot without any problems. Over time, we put yard waste (often with top soil) on top, it became nice mixture for them to dig.
I considered Play Sand, but have read too many posts and websites that talk about Play Sand being very fine and having dust...which is not good for the lungs.

Are you on dry side or wet side? The cinder would be good for drainage. Maybe top it with something like wood chip from a tree service so it will not be abrasive.
I'm on the wet side but in a drier area...one of the many micro-climates.
I'm planning to cover about 2/3 of the run with a roof to help provide shade from the sun and dryness from the rain. When they get old enough, they'll free-range too.
If I go with Cinder, something like Wood Chips is a good idea...mahalo!

Last edited:
I can't stand sand in my coop, it clumps up and makes a mess. I also live where it's really humid so YMMV. Personally I use wood chippings.
I've read a lot about how people love sand (smell reducer and easy to clean). If Arkansas is like Ohio or Florida humidity, then it is much more humid than here...so maybe the clumping wouldn't be a big issue :confused:

Back
Top Bottom