In late summer, a young bird's fancy turns to love...

Henicillin

Pill Counting Pullet
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
East Nassau, NY
...or hormones, your choice.

One of my eleven-week-old SS cockerels, although he isn't yet crowing (that we've witnessed, anyhow), is nevertheless feeling a stirring in his blood. He's beginning to eye the pullets with lascivious intent, which would impress the ladies were he a mature, studly rooster. As he's still just a little squirt, though, his sizing up of the ladies comes off as rather pathetic and desperate, and makes me want to hand him a copy of "Backyard Poultry" magazine and let him into the storage area in the coop for some private time. This afternoon, he spotted one of the 16-week-old Buff Brahma pullets lounging in a dustbath with her big, fluffy backside facing him. Evidently he found the sight enticing, as the little brat waltzed up behind her and, in a rather matter-of-fact manner, climbed aboard, grabbing a beakful of feathers to steady himself. Now, I seriously doubt that he knows exactly what he's supposed to be doing up there, only that it involves being atop a hen, because he stood there for a fraction of a second with a distinct, "OK, now what?" air about him.

Much to his surprise, the Brahma was NOT won over by his stealth mounting, nor by his smooth charm or good looks. She let out a outraged squawk, leapt to her feet, rounded on him, landed a good, hard peck on his back, and proceeded to chase him all over the run, shrieking her indignation and hurling curses at him the entire time. It was absolutely hilarious - my neighbors must have thought I'm a complete loon for sitting out in the run and laughing.
big_smile.png
So much for that!

A cockerel can't get no respect 'round these parts...

lau.gif
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif

omgosh I loved it! Oh the things that we see in our very own backyards
tongue.png
what a wonderful story. Please tell some more when you get a chance! They are hilasious

I know what you mean - our young SS roo is way smaller than one of our RIRs. A few nights ago I saw him leap on her back and start moving away. The RIR is so much bigger than him she hardly knew he was there! Kind of like a little jet on an aircraft carrier. He came to after a moment and wondered, "what am I doing here??" and then hopped off and grabbed a restoring snack
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom