In Mareks Disease denial

I wonder how the sanctuary could know they were 4-5 years old? Since they were being chased when they were rescued, I would lean more toward the limp being an injury or sprain. I would not give any more aspirin. You want her to limit her activity to give the injury time to heal. I would probably keep her from roosting by keeping her in a dog crate at night, or by being there to place her on the roost in the evening, and take her off the roost in the morning. Something else I would recommend would be to give her 1/2 tablet of human vitamin B complex crushed over some food daily. It also dissolves in a little water to pour on food. Any brand is good.
https://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/356052/450.jpg

Thank you everyone for your replies. It helps to have others who care and understand our love for these lil dinosaurs.

She is being kept in our garage at night with plenty of clean water and food right next to her and in a small coop outside in the day, resting a lot, no further decline.

I just gave her legs a massage and she loved it, fell asleep in my arms. Her hocks are swollen from sitting on them so much, I'm wondering if there's a specific wrapping technique I can help her with.

I'm also thinking of making her a sling until we can build her a walking frame so she won't get sores on her body, she has a tiny scab on her chest bone at present.

I wonder how the sanctuary could know they were 4-5 years old? Since they were being chased when they were rescued, I would lean more toward the limp being an injury or sprain. I would not give any more aspirin. You want her to limit her activity to give the injury time to heal. I would probably keep her from roosting by keeping her in a dog crate at night, or by being there to place her on the roost in the evening, and take her off the roost in the morning. Something else I would recommend would be to give her 1/2 tablet of human vitamin B complex crushed over some food daily. It also dissolves in a little water to pour on food. Any brand is good.
https://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/356052/450.jpg

I'm guestimating that age, as when I got them 4 years ago (the dumping wasn't recent) they weren't as big as they are now (they reached maturity so to speak).

Awesome, I'll do this tomorrow :)

I would lean more toward injury, but you don't mention if she's laying eggs or not.
With her being 4-5 yrs of age, she may also be having some reproductive issues that could be causing the limping.

I would not give her more aspirin if you already tried that with no improvement. Aspirin really should only be giving for a couple of days, it's not for long term use.

You mention she's eating/drinking/dust bathing/following the flock.... she's been like this for 2 weeks, not getting better or worse. Then I would take more of a watch and see approach.

I get it, sometimes we feel like we must "do something" but sometimes there's not a lot that can be done.
Yeah I'm starting to understand there's not much we can do, but just extra attention is helping her so that's a relief.

She's laying an egg every 2-3 days roughly, no trouble there.

Back
Top Bottom