In Mareks Disease denial

Smawise

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2020
Hello flock parents,

I hope you're great today.

My little Todoboki is roughly 4-5 years old. We got her and her 3 siblings from a sanctuary. They were being chased by a dog in a graveyard where they'd been dumped (so no idea about vaccinations).

Todo has developed leg issues. Limping on right leg. I took her to the vet today and they said no fractures or sprain as far as they can tell, but told me it may be Mareks disease.

I spoke yo sanctuary owner and theres 50% chance they would have been vaccinated if they were breeder chickens, but also that bets tend to diagnose Mareks when it is something else.

She isn't lethargic, eating and drinking, dirt bathing and following her flock, but spends most of the day sitting down now.

Here's a video of them all, including the limpy baby - - - > Todoboki Hen limp

Thanks in advance for your website and any answers that can be provided.

Cheers
Sam

My little Todoboki is roughly 4-5 years old
Todo has developed leg issues. Limping on right leg. I took her to the vet today and they said no fractures or sprain as far as they can tell, but told me it may be Mareks disease.
She isn't lethargic, eating and drinking, dirt bathing and following her flock, but spends most of the day sitting down now.
She's been like this for about 2 weeks, not getting that much worse though
I'm trying aspirin for 5 days to see how she goes. I gave her some previously for 2 days but didn't see limp improve (which doesn't mean it wasn't helping, she may have just been happy to sit all day)
I would lean more toward injury, but you don't mention if she's laying eggs or not.
With her being 4-5 yrs of age, she may also be having some reproductive issues that could be causing the limping.

I would not give her more aspirin if you already tried that with no improvement. Aspirin really should only be giving for a couple of days, it's not for long term use.

You mention she's eating/drinking/dust bathing/following the flock.... she's been like this for 2 weeks, not getting better or worse. Then I would take more of a watch and see approach.

I get it, sometimes we feel like we must "do something" but sometimes there's not a lot that can be done.

I wonder how the sanctuary could know they were 4-5 years old? Since they were being chased when they were rescued, I would lean more toward the limp being an injury or sprain. I would not give any more aspirin. You want her to limit her activity to give the injury time to heal. I would probably keep her from roosting by keeping her in a dog crate at night, or by being there to place her on the roost in the evening, and take her off the roost in the morning. Something else I would recommend would be to give her 1/2 tablet of human vitamin B complex crushed over some food daily. It also dissolves in a little water to pour on food. Any brand is good.
https://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/356052/450.jpg

She seemed alert. I'd try isolating her and making sure she didn't move around too much. Maybe it being a sprain. Thats what i would think it is. But maybe their could be a fracture and she just needs to stay off it. My guinea just broke her wing and its been a while but she never acts like she's in pain just won't move it. Birds don't like to show pain or sickness. I'm sure they examined the leg and foot but I would check her over again. Check for any bruising under her feathers around her leg up to hip. Mareks is contagious so if its been weeks I would be surprised if nobody else was sick.

Unfortunately not bumblefoot based on the photos, but I have serious doubts that's Marek's - as cavemanrich mentioned, the age doesn't fit with the usual onset.

Green poop can be a lot of bile if the chicken isn't eating/drinking - but when there's a reasonable volume and if she's out where she's eating greenery - I wouldn't be too worried. If you hadn't seen her eat and drink I'd worry more.

Chickens can't use crutches (though they may try with their wings) - so wherever she hurt herself, the other side is also going to be really tired and really sore from being her main source of propulsion. An awkward fall from the roost or nest box or??? ... I wish they could tell us what happened.

I've had 2 unfortunate leg injury accidents that did not improve- and try as I might I couldn't find a break and there was no obvious localized source of pain and otherwise they both seemed fine, even laying eggs.

One can get around but she does spend most of her day down. Wherever she settles I make sure there's food and water within reach, though she can navigate to do the necessities. I think she's got nerve damage because she actually steps on her own foot and doesn't react when she does. The other has a bad limp but is more mobile.

Both are in a "friendly" area with relatively level ground and no roosters to hassle them, and I've made them their own nest at ground level- a very low tech metal drinking trough (2x2x4) turned onto its side. I've stacked the inside with a deep layer of pine pellets and straw so they can arrange a comfortable spot to sleep.

Chicken wheelchairs can be used, depending on how the bird feels about it and whether it scares the poop out of everyone in the vicinity.

Here's an example for the sake of picturing how it looks if you happen to be handy. I imagine the bottom of a stroller could make a ready-made frame -

https://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-wheels-duck-wheelchair/#tab-description
Thank you so much for the time you've taken to type this out.

I want the outcome to be that we just take extra care of her and make sure she's comfortable,this gives me some hope, your gals sound so sweet.

Hmm yes.. A chicken wheelchair may be in her future... Thank you.

Hmm, how long can a sprain effect them? Can I put her in a cast of some kind?

Have you tried giving her aspirin? I like to use the chewable low dose 81mg ones and put it over a favorite treat- watermelon or scrambled egg - generally goes right on down and doesn't have the bitterness factor. Check around but I want to say the dose is 25mg per pound of bird per day.

Given her gait I don't think a cast or splint will help. But, if you can find a way to take the load off the injured (I think it's an injury) leg - there are all kinds of setups for this. And it can be done with PVC too ...

http://www.poultrydvm.com/cases/neptune-the-chicken

Have you tried giving her aspirin? I like to use the chewable low dose 81mg ones and put it over a favorite treat- watermelon or scrambled egg - generally goes right on down and doesn't have the bitterness factor. Check around but I want to say the dose is 25mg per pound of bird per day.

Given her gait I don't think a cast or splint will help. But, if you can find a way to take the load off the injured (I think it's an injury) leg - there are all kinds of setups for this. And it can be done with PVC too ...

http://www.poultrydvm.com/cases/neptune-the-chicken
I'm trying aspirin for 5 days to see how she goes. I gave her some previously for 2 days but didn't see limp improve (which doesn't mean it wasn't helping, she may have just been happy to sit all day)

Back
Top Bottom