In Memory of Snuggles the Lucky BLRW

Gossie

Chirping
Jun 14, 2015
Snuggles died a few weeks ago, but it took me a while to figure out just what to write. She was pretty spoiled rotten
bow.gif
(she was like a princess) and she had a great life.

Snuggles

May 11, 2014 - March 6, 2016
Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
Snuggles came home with us when she was a 1 week old chick. I had previously owned a BLRW who was sweet and I wanted another one, so I ordered 2 from a local breeder. I also got 1 splash amerucana. Snuggles was the friendliest, which is how she got her name. Her friends, Pip (the other BLRW) and Splash (very original for a Splash Amerucana right?), both ended up being roosters, but Snuggles was a hen. Snuggles grew up in a very comfortable brooder (my shower) and when she moved into the coop, she got along with everybody. We ended up having a problem for a few months where we had 6 (mistake) roosters and 5 hens. During this time, Snuggles got all the feathers ripped off her back and a huge gash in her back. We immediately got rid of 3 roosters (one of whom was Splash) and purchased 16 pullets to fix our ratio. We also bought hen saddles. We weren't sure she would live because her gash was so bad. In a few weeks, she was healed and by the beginning of last year, all her feathers had grown back. In August, the day before we went on vacation, we discovered she had a impacted crop. But while we were gone, our chicken-sitter gave her the treatment and she got better. About February 22, 2016, she came down with something and we had no idea what it was. We isolated her from the rest of the coop in case it was contagious. She started getting better, but then she died. We had a mini funeral for her. The chickens were kind of calmer than usual for a few days after, like they were mourning her. She was a wonderful hen and she made it through more things than any of my other chickens.

Rest in Peace Snuggles

Back
Top Bottom