in my tree ??

MAN... that bird LOVES chicken
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

My sil had one land in her apple tree--right above the chcken tractor. We looked on Kijiji, someone had put an ad on there. He had been missing for three weeks.

I was headed out the door to work yesterday so I didn't have much time to say anything of any importance...lol

What are you feeding it? Seed diets aren't really very good for parrots because just like a child they pick out all the goodies. Even though the diet is completely formulated and balanced it isn't after the bird picks out what they want. They will also waste a lot of it. I would recommend putting it on a pelleted diet. Preferably a non-colored pellet like RoudyBush. The medium pellet should work well. If you go with a colored pellet like Zupreem, Katee, or the other name brands expect the bird to wast a lot of it to. 90% of the birds I've met have certain colors they won't eat. I have a friend who breeds birds and the brand he was feeding added a blue pellet to their feed. None of his birds will eat it. They throw it out of the cage. The Indian Ringneck hen I gave him won't even touch the blue pellets to throw them. She just picks around them...lol

Also birds can have anything we can have. However if it is bad for us, it is even worse for them. I once had a woman tell me her bird wasn't feeling well. I asked her what she was feeding it and she told me ice cream and cheetos.
roll.png
I got her to take home pellets and a dried fruit and seed as a treat. And told her to go to the store and buy some fresh vegetables and fruit and offer it to him twice daily. So then she says to me, "So I need to lay off the Cheetos?" I just looked at her dumbfounded. "And the ice cream", was all I could say without screaming.

Atara loves scrambled eggs.

I would recommend trying different fruits and veggies with it to see what it likes. You shouldn't have to peel anything. The bird will do that on its own. I always offer some morning and evening in a small cup for several hours. Once a day is fine though. Sometimes Atara doesn't even get that.

Caffeine and alcohol are big no-no's. Avocados are also toxic to birds and shouldn't be fed. There is a debate about whether it is the seed, the skin on the seed, the flesh, or the skin on the fruit, but why chance it. That also rules out guacamole.

Some birds will be nervous in front of windows. So if the bird acts really stressed out near one move him away from it. Some birds love windows like my Jenday Conure, Atara. She will plaster herself to the glass to watch things going on outside. Every bird is different.

You will want to provide the bird with different sized perches to prevent arthritis in the feet as the bird ages. people use to just keep the one dowel rod in the cage and years later find out that the bird couldn't hold onto it anymore because its foot wasn't properly exercised. So different sizes with varying diameters and textures are good. You will want to give the bird several toys. Usually something the bird can tear up rather quickly, one that is fairly long-lasting, and one that is indestructible. You will want to rotate these out every couple of weeks for new ones. Bored birds are destructive, loud, and can begin plucking their own feathers.

If you do keep the bird because you can't find the owner you will probably want to invest in a larger cage with sturdier bars and welds. The cage it is in now will probably not hold the bird long-term. It can take its beak and go along like a pair of wire cutters and snip that wire bend it and get out. If you think dogs are bad about tearing up stuff. Just wait until you come home from being out all day and find out your parrot got out of the cage...

You will probably want to look into Prevue cages or the newer EZ Care cages which feature the standard door, but the whole front of the cage swings open as well for easy cleaning. It will also be much easier to get the bird in and out of the cage.

That's all I can think of for now.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Sorry about writing a book.

THANKS chickndaddy ,, and i dont mind "books" that have all the info im looking for
wink.png

we got him a mixture for eats right now,,i THINK they called it "yukatan" or something close to that lol ,, and he loves CHICKEN hahaha ,, we got a cage yesterday for him,,or the day before,,lol,, its not a BIG 1 , but for a temp, i think it'll do o.k. till i build 1 into the corner of the living room,, but i dont want to invest alot into for a couple weeks,,jus in case i do find the owner
sad.png
heh,,
the food is a seed food,, and a fruit and nut mix,,( i fight him over that mix hehe ) and i'll attach a quick pic of both the food and the cage,, ( jus cause i wanna brag hahaha )

100208_143300.jpg

well,, i guess the cage pic will have to wait,, my mail aint getting it from the phone,,lol,,, ya im cheap and only have a camera on my phone hahaha
wink.png

again THANKS for all the info!! and be looking for pm's from me hehehe
wink.png

heehee...MY parrot loves chicken also!!..we sometimes give him a chicken leg..and he sits there like fred flintstone..with this bone in his claw...just pigging out!...
gig.gif

Quote:
i can picture that,,,hahaha
and thanks for the good words to the bird gods JMajors
big_smile.png
,, they BETTER listen lol
o.k.,, heres some bad pics of the cage,, and it has 2 sizes of perch's,, the regular small pieces of crap ,, and a BIG 1 that has sand on it.
100208_143200.jpg

100208_143201.jpg

Gorgeous bird!

That is how I got Oscar, my Goffin Cockatoo. About 12 years ago my aunt was at her friend's and he flew into the window and knocked himself out. No body claimed him, and he was a total butt. My aunt tamed him and taught him how to sall Hello, and her cats taught him how to meow. About 3 years ago she decided it was time I took over, and we've had him ever since.

The seed mix looks like Mayan Harvest / Yucatan Blend. It is made by Higgins which is a really good brand of seed. We didn't carry the large mix like what you showed, but we did carry the smaller mix for cockatiels, lovebirds, and the little conures. The cage looks good for now. I completely understand not wanting to spend a lot of money until you find out if you are going to be able to keep it. Just watch and make sure if it gets bored that it doesn't break the bars.

I have decided she looks girl-y by the way. Not that you can tell from looking but she looks like a girl. But maybe that is just because my little bird is a girl.

I don't mind answering questions in the least so ask away. If you are able to keep the bird, I would recommend getting it switched over to a pellet. It will make your life easier. Atara eats small RoudyBush, and gets a seed mix as a treat among other things. If she had it her way she would just eat the seed. Silly bird.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom