In need of advice!!

FlyFisherWV

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2016
My girlfriend and I recently started 33 Pekin/Khaki eggs at various recorded times and our X1 generatiom is coming due! We have noticed two eggs rocking a little now and then but it appears as if they take a lot of rest inbetween the bursts throughout the day.

One egg is still calm and moving around in the candling, the other a day ago we noticed some tapping sounds and could feel his vibrations. I thought he was trying to break out, i assume this period is him pipping internally. He has since stopped and still twitches around when candled. Today he started forming some blue coloration to the shell around the air pocket and I need to know if this is good or bad.

He still moves when candled, but I need to know whether to perform careful surgery or leave him be. Also I assume turning those eggs should stop correct?

I have had that happen, I heard piping and saw it moving when I candled it. The mistake you made was candeling it when it was that far developed, you must have killed it because it was trying to get into the position to hatch out.

Really? He has still been moving since the last time we candled him. He isn't dead yet, but I am really trying to figure things out for my first time. Didn't realize they couldn't be candled at that point. Thanks

That sounds right, but I can't be certain. One thing to do is not to surgically remove the chick. We have done this, and turned out is was much less developed than it seemed. this egg was the last to be in the incubator meaning it had slow development. It was such a horrible sight. If the chick had already pipped, and there was no sign of further movement, then a possibility could be to remove the shell, which we have done, but this is not recommended.
Sorry I couldn't help more.
-Birdbrain101
jumpy.gif

Just to make a correction, you can certainly candle them when they are that far along, I do it all the time checking for internal pips.

Yes, those eggs need to not be turned now. Also you need to boost your humidity up to hatching levels, 70-80%. Eggs should be locked down at 25 days of incubation, meaning you stop turning and boost the humidity.

As for your discolored egg, they get that bruised look to them sometimes when they internally pip. He's probably fine in there. If it has been 24 hours since internal pip, you can make a safety hole at the top of the egg to make sure it has air. This article has a good description of how to do it and pictures.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

In the future, you should avoid doing a staggered hatch unless you have a second incubator to put the eggs into as they reach lockdown.

Don't listen to them, let nature take its course. If it hatches, it hatches. If it doesn't, it doesn't

That is your opinion. Between FridayYet and me I know we have years of experience. It doesn't look like you've actually incubated any eggs, judging from your post history. You had a broody hen but that's it. I've had poultry for nearly nine years and I've been hatching for at least half of that. At this point I'm sure I've hatched at least a thousand birds. There is more than one way to do things. Apologies if this comes across as harsh, it is not my intention.

Candling does not kill eggs.

To the OP, if you want good advice about how to help if things go south, come on over to this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

There are lots of hatchers with years and years of experience and we all help if necessary. You will get a lot of good advice in there.

Last edited:
I agree with Pyxis and Friday...

Candling does not and will not kill an unhatched embryo, especially if it is not externally pipped...

I hatch Call ducks quite frequently and I have to watch for those internal pips to tell me when I might need to make a safe hole and/or assist if it can't externally pip and zip itself... done correctly, assisting is a valuable tool when it is needed...

Discoloration may or may not indicate internal pip or an issue... if it's internally pipped it will look like this...

And have you ever watched a broody hatch? They move those eggs constantly, even while they are pipping and zipping... heck, my girls even stand up while the babies hatch, lol!

Please do come over to the hands on thread Pyxis posted a link to... many, many great people there can help... :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom