In need of incubator help

mcdown75

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Central Missouri
I have run two sets if eggs through my homemade incubator now. The first had no growth at all. It was still pretty cold out and I chalked it up to them getting too cold before I got to them. The second set had minimal growth. Could barely make out the embryo. What am I doing wrong? My temperature is controlled within a three degree range. I don't have a humidity guage, but it always seems very moist when I open it. I'm building a turner, could insufficient turning cause this?

I have run two sets if eggs through my homemade incubator now. The first had no growth at all. It was still pretty cold out and I chalked it up to them getting too cold before I got to them. The second set had minimal growth. Could barely make out the embryo. What am I doing wrong? My temperature is controlled within a three degree range. I don't have a humidity guage, but it always seems very moist when I open it. I'm building a turner, could insufficient turning cause this?
It could be many things. Ventilation, temps, (have you ever checked the accuracy of your thermometers?) humidity, (you don't neccessarily want "moist" during the first 17 days, you want teh egg to loose moisture. Have you checked air cells?) The more stable temp you get the better you are. Insufficient turning can definitely be a problem. So could layer age, nutritional and egg quality.

I have checked the temp. The chickens are pretty pampered as far as nutrition and housing. What should the humidity be? I just don't want to go through another failed hatching.

I have checked the temp. The chickens are pretty pampered as far as nutrition and housing. What should the humidity be? I just don't want to go through another failed hatching.
There is no set number for humidity. A lot of us use 30% while others hatch successfully at a higher percentage. The best way to gage if your humidity is working for your eggs in your environment is either by weighing or air cell growth. I use air cell growth. Using this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

Back
Top Bottom