In need of some good advice

codiallynn422

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
I have no idea what I'm doing. I really want to hatch some of my seramas fertile eggs but she refuses to set. I don't have and incubator and honestly I've never tried to hatch my own chicks. My buff orpington (she's never hatched chicks either) is constantly broody so she was my next best bet.She has been setting on them since the 19th tucked another one under her on the 21st and didn't realize I made a huge mistake by not marking the first two by the 26th when I placed the third. I only marked the third egg (idk if thats even going to be an issue). I really want her to hatch them for me but I'm worried she might be too big so I was thinking of taking them out as late as possible but I highly doubt I'll have a better enviorment than my broody. Is the size of my hen going to be big deal? Is the time gap between eggs going to be an issue? Can I keep putting new eggs under her?
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

Its a better idea to collect fertile eggs and then put them under the hen at the same time - that way they will all hatch out a roughly the same time (give or take a day). The viability of fertile eggs declines after 10 days, so store your eggs in a cool room (larder, for example) with the pointy end of the egg facing down (in an egg box). The egg box should be inclined at one side (just prop it on another egg box or something like that) and then rotate the egg box so the opposite end is now inclined. Keep rotating at least a couple of times a day.

I'd suggest that you remove the eggs and discard them. Let your hen continue to be broody - its no problem and then when you have collected sufficient fertile eggs, then put them under her. The size of the hen makes little difference (unless you want her to sit on 50 eggs!
smile.png
).

Good luck
CT
PS - theres a thread on hatching chicks "naturally" - you may want to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom