In praise of elevated coops

Ummm, how does this work, will you let the run continue under that raised part which I presume is the hen house? I love it regardless just wanting to follow this thread better! Great work!!
Yes, access is left open from the run and HC used around the rest of the coop footprint to exclude predators.

I was thinking (again) about enclosing the area under my coop for more run space.
IMG_3832.JPG

The center area (original build) is on the trailer. The bottom of that metal frame is only about 16" above the ground. The side "wings" are probably about 2 feet. Hmmm... not sure I should have them under the trailer. There are bits of the frame and the springs under there. It would be difficult to shimmy under there, should I ever need to...

I was thinking (again) about enclosing the area under my coop for more run space.
View attachment 3630520
The center area (original build) is on the trailer. The bottom of that metal frame is only about 16" above the ground. The side "wings" are probably about 2 feet. Hmmm... not sure I should have them under the trailer. There are bits of the frame and the springs under there. It would be difficult to shimmy under there, should I ever need to...
You could exclude the 16" center area by enclosing with HC or even chicken wire and then use HC around the 2' areas?

You could exclude the 16" center area by enclosing with HC or even chicken wire and then use HC around the 2' areas?
I was thinking about that. I have so many projects for this fall that I think I'll leave this for next spring. If I did them just as they are, though, they'd be two blind alleys. I was wondering how to "connect" them.

I may rig up some kind of "creeper" to be able to slide in under the trailer.

I was thinking about that. I have so many projects for this fall that I think I'll leave this for next spring. If I did them just as they are, though, they'd be two blind alleys. I was wondering how to "connect" them.

I may rig up some kind of "creeper" to be able to slide in under the trailer.
I know the too many projects thing.

Your could use the tongue extension on the front of trailer covered with HC to build a tunnel?

Last edited:
Your could use the tongue extension on the front of trailer covered with HC to build a tunnel?
Yeah, I was looking at that as an option.

My next coop project is to take the internal nest boxes and mount them on the outside, freeing up some more floor space. And add another one, since when all the girls are laying, including the not-yet-laying pullets, I'll have 10. Too many for just two boxes. Especially because one of the older birds is a "lounger" who likes to read a book while she's on the nest.:)

When I built my coop I decided to elevate it off the ground; rational was twofold - gain more run space and deter pests from easy access to the coop.

I researched and decided on 3 feet of elevation, the contours of my location resulted in 3-4 feet underneath the coop mostly to facilitate easy access for me.

After four years these are benefits I did not think of:
  1. Each fall I gather huge amounts of fallen leaves to add to the run. I spread them throughout but make sure to "fill" under the coop area with 2-3 feet of leaves. My flock goes nuts for days on end as they dig through to find bugs to feast on.
  2. The obvious advantage of more compost material to the run over top of the base mulch and shavings I used to start. More that four years later I have not touched the run to deal with issues of mud or droppings, don't think that I will ever need to do anything other than add compostable materials.
  3. I started with various containers for dust baths. These days the flock makes their own baths by digging around the run perimeter; some along the south side of the main run area but under the coop is the favourite spot with holes dotting all around the undercoop area.
  4. Today, after a cool summer, we are at 32C/90F. No birds in the main covered run, everyone under the coop enjoying the cooler temperatures and multitude of dust baths.
The added expense of elevation was concrete patio foot bases, the wood for 4x4 posts and beams for the base frame and wood to build a step/stoop to gain entry to my walk in coop. Several hundred $ for sure but well worth the effort and cost.
Total newbie here when you say elevated coop I am not sure exactly what you mean. This is my very first coop and I would do a hundred things different but it was a blast, it did the job but it took me forever and is way over built it would withstand a hit from the oak tree next to it falling.
When I built my coop I decided to elevate it off the ground; rational was twofold - gain more run space and deter pests from easy access to the coop.

I researched and decided on 3 feet of elevation, the contours of my location resulted in 3-4 feet underneath the coop mostly to facilitate easy access for me.

After four years these are benefits I did not think of:
  1. Each fall I gather huge amounts of fallen leaves to add to the run. I spread them throughout but make sure to "fill" under the coop area with 2-3 feet of leaves. My flock goes nuts for days on end as they dig through to find bugs to feast on.
  2. The obvious advantage of more compost material to the run over top of the base mulch and shavings I used to start. More than four years later I have not touched the run to deal with issues of mud or droppings, don't think that I will ever need to do anything other than add compostable materials.
  3. I started with various containers for dust baths. These days the flock makes their own baths by digging around the run perimeter; some along the south side of the main run area but under the coop is the favourite spot with holes dotting all around the undercoop area.
  4. Today, after a cool summer, we are at 32C/90F. No birds in the main covered run, everyone under the coop enjoying the cooler temperatures and multitude of dust baths.
The added expense of elevation was concrete patio foot bases, the wood for 4x4 posts and beams for the base frame and wood to build a step/stoop to gain entry to my walk in coop. Several hundred $ for sure but well worth the effort and cost.
First flock, first coop, newbie here trying to make sure I know what qualifies as an elevated coop, how’s this?!

I extended the hardware cloth, etc 12 inches out from the run on all sides and lined with pavers etc.

Here it is being framed and the final with green roof! The middle floor leads to nest boxes.

It’s essentially 8x8x8 with an 8x4 run that is 8 feet high with another 8x4 that’s only two feet high, so the floor of the run is 8x8 if that makes sense, it’s like an L shape with part of the run going under the hen house.

Does this count?!
I had a blast building this but I learned sooo much I would never do it exactly this way again! So all comments are welcome this was a learning experience. 👍✌️

Attachments

• IMG_0153.jpeg
    IMG_0153.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 71374333894__742B8427-F843-449C-8F05-1774A296E3EC.jpeg
    71374333894__742B8427-F843-449C-8F05-1774A296E3EC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0652.jpeg
    IMG_0652.jpeg
    869.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg