Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
When I built my coop I decided to elevate it off the ground; rational was twofold - gain more run space and deter pests from easy access to the coop.

I researched and decided on 3 feet of elevation, the contours of my location resulted in 3-4 feet underneath the coop, mostly to facilitate easy access for me.

After four years these are benefits I did not think of:
  1. Each fall I gather huge amounts of fallen leaves to add to the run. I spread them throughout but make sure to "fill" under the coop area with 2-3 feet of leaves. My flock goes nuts for days on end as they dig through to find bugs to feast on.
  2. The obvious advantage of more compost material to the run over top of the base mulch and shavings I used to start. More than four years later I have not touched the run to deal with issues of mud or droppings, don't think that I will ever need to do anything other than add compostable materials.
  3. I started with various containers for dust baths. These days the flock makes their own baths by digging around the run perimeter; some along the south side of the main run area but under the coop is the favourite spot with holes dotting all around the under coop area.
  4. Today, after a cool summer, we are at 32C/90F. No birds in the main covered run, everyone under the coop enjoying the cooler temperatures and multitude of dust baths.
The added expense of elevation was concrete patio foot bases, the wood for 4x4 posts and beams for the base frame and wood to build a step/stoop to gain entry to my walk in coop. Several hundred $ for sure but well worth the effort and cost.

Last edited:
I've just started building my coop and I always knew I wanted it elevated, mostly to add to the run space and that I hate trying to reach eggs under my in law's coop. I have just over 2.5 feet under the coop I'm building. I have to get a little help to get everything in place but it's started and that's a big step!
IMG_20230904_150447.jpg

When I built my coop I decided to elevate it off the ground; rational was twofold - gain more run space and deter pests from easy access to the coop.

I researched and decided on 3 feet of elevation, the contours of my location resulted in 3-4 feet underneath the coop mostly to facilitate easy access for me.

After four years these are benefits I did not think of:
  1. Each fall I gather huge amounts of fallen leaves to add to the run. I spread them throughout but make sure to "fill" under the coop area with 2-3 feet of leaves. My flock goes nuts for days on end as they dig through to find bugs to feast on.
  2. The obvious advantage of more compost material to the run over top of the base mulch and shavings I used to start. More that four years later I have not touched the run to deal with issues of mud or droppings, don't think that I will ever need to do anything other than add compostable materials.
  3. I started with various containers for dust baths. These days the flock makes their own baths by digging around the run perimeter; some along the south side of the main run area but under the coop is the favourite spot with holes dotting all around the undercoop area.
  4. Today, after a cool summer, we are at 32C/90F. No birds in the main covered run, everyone under the coop enjoying the cooler temperatures and multitude of dust baths.
The added expense of elevation was concrete patio foot bases, the wood for 4x4 posts and beams for the base frame and wood to build a step/stoop to gain entry to my walk in coop. Several hundred $ for sure but we'll worth the effort and cost.
I wouldn't build any other kind. The extra protection they give from digging predators and being able to inspect the underside of the coop is well worth any extra expense ensuring the coop is stable. Build them small enough and they are reasonably easy to move, another big advantage in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom