In this thread **I** would like to whine about the cold lol

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
barnie.gif
It is -26C(-15F) right now that is the REAL temp no windchill added thankfully but it's been awful like this for days, everything is frozen i had to take a hammer to the clip on the heated water bucket to be able to get it off, i cannot clean the barn because everything is FROZEN... the birds are all in because it's beyond cold and they just sit outside and shake.
hmm.png

I am frozen, you know how it is.. so many fiddly things and half the time my puffy gloves have to come off so i can manipulate a latch or open a container...

Is anyone else in this balmy weather? I am used to cold but extremes get old real fast.... at least the sun is out. Anyone else want to commiserate?

Last edited:
Oh come on GQ. It can't be that bad. You could have been in my shoes this morning. I got up put on hat, sweatshirt with hood, jacket, gloves. Went outside and realized it was 36F. Had to take some stuff off.
lau.gif
I enjoy having seasons now, having lived in FL for 13 years but I don't think I'd want your temp extremes. Stay warm.

That is precisely why I do not live in Iowa...which is where I am from and all of my family is still there. I can not deal with cold weather and the grey dreary sky for months on end, it really gets me in a funk! I am much more happy with the weather in the south! Sometimes I feel guilty because it seems I have chosen weather and lifestyle over being with my parents, siblings, and grandparents.
sad.png
Very hard decision to live with some days.....

GQ, I am impressed that you have enough spunk to rail against the cold
thumbsup.gif

It is frustrating and painful. We are at a balmy -15C here, ducks and I are still inside. Supposed to reach -7C today, and it is sunny. No way we will have swimmy water today - again - but Lord willing, we will start climbing out of the cold air trough in a day or two.

I may fill a swim pan with some stored water some time this week so the ducks can wash off.

Hoses are drained and in the garage, where they will remain till the spigots work again. I am filling the ducks' water pots from the kitchen sink.

Our setup is so tiny, and retrofitted from the 1970's "ideal" U.S. suburban scheme. It's been like outfitting a sailboat, in a way. Those who have barns and sheds and at least a few acres have a little elbow room, but I need to think about every square meter. Still a long way to go, gonna get rid of some of the suburban dream stuff and switch out to the agrarian reality stuff more and more.

The upside to this is that since we are compact, there is less space to heat. The walkout basement (we now call the barn) is half covered under ground, and the top of it is the heated house (as in, mid teens C).

So, with your place being so much colder, and so much bigger, I feel you have every right to express your dissatisfaction. I offer prayers for your strength and safety, and a moderation of the weather.

Hey GQ, hang in there! My Khakis and I are doing okay at -3 with a slight breeze but I sympathize with your -15 as I still remember -30F weather for days on end during winters back in the 1960s. I am not sure how my Khakis would stand up with -15 and our wind chill is supposed to dip below that during the next few nights so I will definitely keep my eye on their condition.

As Amiga says, warmer weather is a few days away so hang in there and best of luck.

When I woke this morning, we were at -3F (-24F with wind chill). I filled the water bucket and carried it around back as fast as my frozen @$$ could carry it. (We repurposed a plastic 40 pound cat litter bucket for water transport.) Their previous water bucket, from last night, even though it had a heater in it, was frozen several inches down. You should have seen me, slamming my booted foot down upon it, time and again, to break the ice.
tongue.gif
And were the ducks inside, nestled in the deep straw we filled their house with? NooOo! They were all laying OUTSIDE on the ICE! Dummies. *chuckle*

It's now a whopping 2F (-18F with wind chill) and I am NOT looking forward to going back out for dinner time feeding.

We'll get through it! Until then, I second a notion for the right to gripe about the cold once in a while...

OK, now I feel bad!
hide.gif
The last few weeks it's been below freezing at night, dipping into the upper 20's. Again,
hide.gif
nothing compared to what some of you are dealing with! And yet I complained because the high temps were only getting up to the upper 40's. Yes, I complained about that!

I am sorry!
bow.gif
I will never complain about central CA's weather again! At least not until next winter!

It's about the same here this morning. Windchill advisories in place. -41.8F this morning.

Had 6 eggs by 8:30 am, and a broody has started hatching her chicks.

The cold sure is an inconvenience though.

Well I was going to complain, but after reading this thread I better not. Lol
My birds are fine in the only slight cold and I will buck up and be fine too. :)

Oh, wow. I feel for you guys in the negative temps. I can't imagine dealing with anything below zero.

We've had a very nice break from the rain here in Western WA. It's been in the upper 20's and low 30's and it was SO NICE...until today when it starting raining again. Can I complain here about the rain?
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom