Sick girl, but I can't figure out what's up.

She is resting and drinking, resting and drinking. No panting this morning. I really think the sugar in the Tums is helping. Someone said something about molasses. I have some, any suggestions on how to use some to help her?

I was worried about that too, but I figured "She's dying anyway." I think this is the result of a mating injury. Her roo is young and enthusiastic and she just never got as big as she was supposed to according to breed spec. He's half again her size.
So, I don't know how the rooster could cause internal damage.

I think he jumped on her and broke the egg in his aggressive mating style. They're both small, but from her perspective a piano jumped on her back while she was sending a soft egg out the door.

Most of us do not recommend flushing the vent after a broken egg anymore. That was an old post from 2011, and flushing the vent can introduce more fecal bacteria up into the reproductive tract. I am not a vet or an expert on anything, but I would not. Keep us posted on how she gets along.
VERY good to know! I am lucky my girl was ok.

She's still fighting. Not panting anymore. But not eating at all. Just drinking a bit from time to time. Resting a lot more. I can't tell if she can't hold her head up, or is exhausted from not sleeping. I gave her 3 drops of Nutri-Drench in her beak and put a bit in her water. Seeing that it was mostly molasses gave me a chuckle.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom