INBREEDING - LINE BREEDING

If @Wynette is still active here I hope she replies.

I'll give the backstory of why this was done...

The Silver pencilled are undersized. No way about it they are small with fine bone structure that can be easily seen in those dainty legs. It's not to BREED of Plymouth Rock standard. ANd most lines of the silver have tendency to fade yellow. Hard to get that bright highway yellow paint on their legs if they don't have it often to begin with.

Scott, who was known here as ? all rocks, only rocks, just rocks...something like that. Wanted to breed and went about it the right way. He made contacts, found the stock he wanted and had a mentor.Then he bred that original stock in hundred, went large scale as breeder to set his line. His Columbians are very nice. If you take a peek at Fred's Hens forum Breeding Plymouth Rock to SOP you will see what Scot achieved. Perfect type and bright yellow legs. A beauty to behold his line is and I highly recommend it. Plymouth ROck when bred to type are to me a beautiful bird. His is in Columbian. As the Pencilled have columbian necks it was the choice of outcross of variety in hopes to improve. Goal was lager birds to type and "stay yellow" legs.

I want photos to see how that project is going. It's a large effort and hope she made headway.

I'm a breeder of Silver Pencilled too so obviously want updates...they need improvement nationally. My hope is she made headway. She has an established line of high quality Pencilled and we all needed improvement. Braved the waters of outcross of variety in attempt to achieve it. Big bones, big body, and those stay yellow legs. Wow, if we ever get those Plymouth Rock attributes that are mainstay of breed in the Pencilled it would be awesome. Would be a major achievement. She and I are both working on it, think @Wynette has the favor if you're betting who gets there first.

Last edited:
"why do people inbreed"

Did you read any of the thread before you posted? Egghead_Jr did a wonderful job of explaining why inbreeding, but more accurately (and beneficially) line breeding and spiral breeding practices are used by breeders that are serious about enhancing and preserving characteristics within a line of birds. Easily seen when you look at hatchery quality birds that are all over the place in regards to type. Their plumage color, body shape, leg color, comb type, etc can be inconsistent from one bird to the next. Birds that come from reputable breeders that practice good breeding practices produce birds that are much more uniform and resemble the Standard of Perfection set forth by the American Poultry Association (or whatever national organization).

Hello,
I have a question that I think I know the answer to but I need to ask the "OG's" here in this forum...
I plan to order some chicks this spring,I'm going to order a couple of roosters and about a couple dozen hens.(2 roosters per 12 hens ratio)
I spoke to the breeder and they cannot guarantee that the roosters That I order will or will not be related to the hens.
So this concerns me.
I may have to order stock from two different breeders to avoid an in-breeding situation and all the possible negative issues that go with it,,which is not a problem but I would like to save some money if I could.
Any one here have any experience with brother-sister ;father- daughter;mother-son breedings?
Positive or negative?
Can I get away with a few in-breedings then out-cross with a known unrelated (same variety) bird?
Any help would be appreciated

Get this book. $10.00 from American Bantam Association. In/line breeding only produces positive outcomes IF you understand. Its possible to have a closed flock breed for years and years before needing an outcross. One of the best things about in/line breeding is it concentrates the negative recessive traits that are normally suppressed by the expression of the dominant desirable trait.
7.png

For many Breeders we line breed to focus on just one line and create our own.
If you kept buying in new birds, you are constantly introducing new blood, so will never create your own line, and you may also introduce unwanted traits, which can be hard to get rid of.
I know of someone who has a line of White Wyandottes for over 30 years, and has never introduced new blood.

The best matings for line breeding is Father- Daughter, and Mother- Son, or anything further apart such as uncle- Niece, Cousin-Cousin.
Brother-Sister is too closely related, and may result in problems.

I hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom