Incomplete impacted crop treatment - please help!

Pics
@Overo Mare has a video of how to tube feed (link below)
I think folks by lamb/kid tube feeding kits from Amazon, this comes with syringe and tube - you may want to look into that.

With her pooping out a grass, she's passing material, hopefully she will expel more.
Fennel tea just may be the ticket!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-to-tube-severely-molting-hen.1437023/post-23839502
I actually just saw the kid tube feeding kits on Amazon. They have red rubber, but only in FR14.
The FR18 are not red rubber. Description:

About this item​

• Clear plastic, 16" long with 60 CC syringe
  • Easier to use because they are less flexible than typical red rubber tube
  • Great for feeding weak lambs and goats (kids)
  • For Lamb and Goat Use Only

Amazon does have red rubber FR18 tubes for enemas, but they are 15" long. I have the syringes, so this could be an option, but for the length. As much as she squirms and bucks, I'd rather use a smooth ended tube than a cut one. But maybe the syringe would work if the other end were cut? Might be worth a try. They aren't very expensive. More flexible is what we're after, correct? I could get it to have on hand. And hope that she doesn't need it.

Screenshot_20230711-231941_Brave.jpg

Happy Dance! This morning, I am not feeling Laney's crop mass! I want to thank each of you for your help and support.

We ended up doing nightly, fennel-seed-tea doses (the towel-wrapping video was so helpful), while waiting for the copper sulfate to arrive - it has not, as yet. Each morning, there was a big mess under the spot where Laney roosted. And each day, I was seeing less grass in those droppings. So clearly, it worked!

I'm going to give her probiotics again, tonight, and monitor her crop, to make sure it remains unimpacted. I will also do a better job of keeping the edges of grass short, so the girls can enjoy occasional roam-time.

Laney and I are so lucky to have you all. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom