Incomplete impacted crop treatment - please help!

Pics

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
@azygous @Wyorp Rock

I came across azygous' impacted crop article yesterday, and decided to test my girls, since they have been having so many issues. I took away their feed at bedtime and checked them in the morning. Sure enough, I have one hen, Laney who has an impacted crop. I followed the directions for treatment (all the way to the end - oil, massage oil masage, stool softener, massage, oil, massage). Although her crop is no longer hard, and has reduced in size, it did not empty all the way. She still has a mass that is about egg-sized, though it is now soft and pliable, like play-dough.
I have separated her, so that I could feed the other girls, and because I'm not sure how to proceed.

Please advise. It kind of feels like my little flock is falling apart

No, your flock isn't falling apart. You've been alert, and that's half the battle won. Impacted crop doesn't immediately resolve in one day. You've made a great start, and next you need to get this crop back in balance.

Start by encouraging this hen to consume some grit. Next, give her a probiotic tablet each day for the next several days. Encourage her to drink plenty of water.

Continue to monitor her crop each morning. We won't abandon you. As this progresses, you'll get the support you need.

No, your flock isn't falling apart. You've been alert, and that's half the battle won. Impacted crop doesn't immediately resolve in one day. You've made a great start, and next you need to get this crop back in balance.

Start by encouraging this hen to consume some grit. Next, give her a probiotic tablet each day for the next several days. Encourage her to drink plenty of water.

Continue to monitor her crop each morning. We won't abandon you. As this progresses, you'll get the support you need.
Thank you so much. I'll get some fresh probiotic pills, today. Can I give her food?

This morning, Laney's crop was full and hard, again. Not as big as it was, yesterday. And it softened more quickly as I repeated the protocol. We still ended up with a pliable, egg-sized crop mass. But, I am overall happy with our progress. At least I know she can now get some nutrition, and has been pooping some grass..

I started her on the probiotics, last night. I'm seeing her drink water. I haven seen her eat grit, but someone sure is making a mess around the grit and oyster shell dishes!

She's such a good girl with the chilled coconut oil. She just eats it right from the dish. And although she does not like being held, she seems to enjoy the massage, once I get her settled. I rock and sing to her, and she actually closed her eyes and nodded off for a moment

BTW - I found this very helpful. I have these silicone, mini ice cube trays. I measured out 1 tsp portions of soft, coconut oil per cell, then refrigerate the tray (which has a lid). I pop 2 "cubes" out when needed, and slice them up with a filet knife, for less crumbling

20230628_235954.jpg

Day 3 - Same story. Hard crop in the morning. Followed the protocol and it softened to the size of an egg.

Found a fairy egg (maybe bigger than a fairy egg) in the nesting box, today - but not sure who laid it. I don't believe Laney was one of the girls laying soft eggs. Haven't gotten a soft egg is many days. Off to read up on fairy eggs, now

20230701_151802.jpg

Have you wormed your flock within the last six months? If not, it might be that worms are slowing down her digestive functions.

Fairy eggs are usually albumen only, having formed in the oviduct by a small irritant rather than a yolk.

Back
Top Bottom